Mommy mommy mommmy all the time...

My almost 8 month old son only wants me. He is my first and only kid right now so it's all new to me. I will give him to his dad and he will reach for me and if I don't take him cry. I dread Mondays because I give him to the sitter she is great but he crys and wants me it's so hard and if I put him down for a nap or to pee for crying out loud he crys and puts his arms up for me and when I grab him he is fine. He has bad seperation anxiety what can I do to help him?

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 4:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Psychologically, he has reached the stage where you are not one of many large, helpful blobs, but a specific, necessary person. He is on the verge of getting the reality that you (and the rest of the large, helpful blobs in his life) are separate from him, and he is a distinct person.

Babies need their moms. They know it, and instinctively, so do moms. It's how many other poisonous voices have told you lies about 'spoiling' your child by loving him gently that is between you and meeting his needs.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• It's a phase all babies go through.

Their bodies are set naturally to feel that when mom is not right there that they are in danger - although clearly your son is not in danger, that is what his body is programmed to make him think - so as to keep him safe.

What got me through the clingy stage was a sling - great things. Baby is right there with Mommy, Mommy has free hands - win win.
    They crying when with others thing you can't stop - but he will in time by himself figure out that he is perfectly safe with other loved ones.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• It gets better as they get older; I wouldn't expect much at this age. You could put a picture of yourself in the bag you give the sitter or a baby proof album with several pictures.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2009