do you kids have a curfew?

what age? and what time? if they do?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 4:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My 15 year old girl goes to bed at 9 on school nights, and 11 on weekends, unless there's something special going on. She's not allowed to go out on school nights, but if she's hanging out with her friends around the house, everyone has to leave at 7:30. On weekends, she has to be home by 9:30, unless something special is going on.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Nope. In fact, one of the funniest moments in my whole parenting life was when my nearly-14yo called up from the computer: "Mom, what's a curfew?"

My kids never had a curfew of any kind --not a bedtime, not an 'in the house' rule and not a 'how late things out there can go.'

When I was a little kid, I used to be told (often over and over) to 'go to sleep' and could never figure out HOW? So, I never got myself involved in my kids' sleeping habits --in any direction. If there was something they needed to be up for, I got them up when they were little and when they were older they got themselves up for. Despite years of being told that if they weren't made to go to sleep in my time when they were little they'd 'never be able to get up when it mattered' I nevertheless have children who are late for classes and work no more often than anyone else they know. But unlike others, they don't think staying awake tired is fun.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Well, not one I've ever really needed to enforce. Usually when they go places, they're either with the other kids' parents, or they're spending the night. If they're out and about the neighborhood with friends, I tell them to get home before it's dark.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Yeah, mine had curfews. My youngest is 18, and still has to by home by midnight (unless we make previous arrangements) I don't want a young driver on the road with all the drunks!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• curfew? you mean like come back home?
    my oldest is 14 and he does what he wants on weekends. He's pretty much gone from friday evening till about 7pm Sunday night. He's just too busy for me to keep up with now, and his friends are all older and drive. If he's home, all his friends are here or the band is playing, I let him do what he wants.
    weekdays, he goes nowhere, and to bed by 10 pm or earlier.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2009