will somoen explain Advent and who celebrates it?

I know I should know this but I don't

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I am Catholic and we celebrate it. I know Lutherans do too. I would guess that most Christians do.

Advent is the time before Christmas, a time of preparation. It lasts for about four weeks and during that time we try to think about what a wonderful gift Christ was. We prepare ourselves mentally for the anniversary of Christ's birth and look at our lives and try to make changes where necessary to ensure we are worthy of Christ and his love for us. As we prepare to celebrate his birth, we also consider the final coming at the end of time and ensure we are living in accordance with God's law.

We light candles on a wreath, one each week (starting on Sunday) and often read meditative prayers. Purple is the color used in the Catholic church in decorations during advent and the wreath candles are all purple except on the third week when it is pink. Check out this site: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01165a.htm
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 4:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I am this year! I love candles and it's a great reminder of the impact of Jesus' birth. It helps you get into the story of the Nativity.
    shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 6:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I'm Catholic and we celebrate Advent. To me its just a really nice time with our family. Four weeks before Christmas we start lighting the candles around the wreath, one candle each week. We pray together and talk about what we are grateful for, we try to remember people in need and say prayers for them as well.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Advent it a time of joyful anticipation of the coming of Christ. It's similar to Lent (the time before Easter) but a little less focused on sorrow/repentance. Like when I was pregnant and getting exicted about the last few months before the baby's arrival. Advent is in anticipation of the Second Advent (Coming) of Christ while remember the First Advent (Coming) of Christ at Christiam. So generally it celebrates the activity of God in history and through Christ. For Catholics Advent is also the start of the new Liturgical year (so Happy New Year everyone) and it's an invitation to begin anew our life with Christ.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Advent is traditionally a fasting period, like Lent, although very, very few people treat it that way anymore. It's the 4 weeks leading up to Christmas.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2009