Mommies that have had [ late ] miscarriages

I am curious... if you had a name picked out for your child, did you name your next child the same name, or find a different name for your next child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I miscarried my first daughter at 19 weeks, We had just found out we were having a girl on wed, and lost her on sat. We named her Carrissa Marie. When we found out we were having a girl with my second pregnancy my bf asked if i wanted to use the same name, and I said no. I wouldn't name any of my kid's the same name, just because she is no longer alive doesn'y make he any less my daughter. Also I would never want my living daughter to feel that she was somehow supposed to replace her older sister. We chose the name Kira Elizabeth for our second daughter who is now almost 5 months.
    Allie_kat1

Answer by Allie_kat1 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• We gave our next child the same name.
    Anonymous

• Mine wasn't LATE late....but later than most women I know. We didnt' know the sex, however, so we didnt' have a name...but I did have a nickname I used for it while I was pregnant and I refused to call the next one the same thing. Although he/she wasn't big enough to bury as a "viable" baby (I hate that term), I did give a name that would work for a boy or a girl just in case we bump into each other in heaven or something. Haha. We did have two names picked out for each sex...but we didnt use them...not because of the miscarriage though. We just changed our minds.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I had a m/c at 11 weeks. I did have some names tentatively picked out. However, I never really felt that I had named that child- I didn't name my other kids until they were born either. I had names that I liked, I had to see the kids after birth before I made a final choice. I did use a name I liked during my first pregnancy for my son who was born from my second pregnancy. Although I think of the baby I lost often, I still don't attach a name to him or her. He/she is just 'my angel.'

My aunt lost her middle child to a cord accident at 7.5 months. She used the name they had chosen for her, she was far enough along that her child was buried and has the name on her grave stone. When she gave birth to another daughter, she used her lost daughter's first name as her living dd's middle name. Living dd then gave her daughter the same name as her late sister. So the name has been carried on to another generation.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I dont think that I would be able to use the same name if that were to happen to me.
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 7:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I can't imagine using the same name : ( That would be way too hard to deal with!
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• "When she gave birth to another daughter, she used her lost daughter's first name as her living dd's middle name. Living dd then gave her daughter the same name as her late sister. So the name has been carried on to another generation."

Aww, I love that! I lost my dd at 9 months due to a cord accident and I would love it if I have another dd and she uses angel dd's name for her dd! That would mean so much to me :) But I can't bring myself to think about using any part dd's name again, as much as I loved the name we picked out, it was special and just for her!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 9:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2009