nipple`confusion :(!!!!

baby has had 3-4 bottles in her life(my milk)- 25 days old

not latching properly, or sucking

she is licking and barely taking the nipple

what do i do? continue nursing and not offer a bottle when shes not getting enough? offer bottle after no success at nipple? see lactation nurse soon.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse, nurse, nurse! No more bottles until she she starts latching and suckling properly. Call a lactation consultant - they can visit with you during a nursing session and give you more personalized tips on how to fix the problem.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• No bottles. No pacifiers. Nurse nurse nurse. If you feel you must give her a little something give it by spoon, eyedropper, or tiny cup.

Try http://www.drjacknewman.com/ until you can see you LC
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My baby is 27 days old, we've been having latch problems as well. Please follow the advice of the previous posters! No bottles, binkies, and just nurse your baby. Be patient. If she is latching wrong, break the latch and try again until the baby opens her mouth WIDE. I've been reading www.kellymom.com like crazy. There is a wealth of information there. I'm glad you're going to see your LC soon because a lot of moms won't ask for the help. You can do it! :) Don't time your sessions.

Let her stay on the breast as long as she wants, she will get enough. If you feel she's not getting enough, wake the baby up, change her diaper or something and then switch sides. I've been doing this, and it's been working well. Your LC might also suggest a nipple shield to get you back on track, if you haven't been using one already. Nipple shields have helped me, but you have to wean them off so that the baby gets used to YOU. Good luck!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 6:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• she has been doing great today, thanks
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:04 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Glad to hear it's going better :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2009