My daughter is 5 months old, and I am about to start her on cereal, (she has been a formula baby). I am a bit confused however. I know it is best to feed her cereal out of a bowl, but do I also give her a bottle during the day?

lilbitsmommy618

Asked by lilbitsmommy618 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely yes, continue with the formula as you have done. When you start out on cereal its only a tablespoon or two at first in a bowl if that is what you want. The additional iron in the cereal can cause some constipation. Start slow. One meal a day and gradually add.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Give her the formula as much as she wants, it is really all she has to have right now. It is fine to give her cereal from a bowl but I wouldn't put it in the bottle or anything. Just give her the cereal like once a day for now, because it is really only for experimenting at this point. In a couple of months start mixing it with baby food.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I would start out trying with 3 servings a day; breakfast, lunch and dinner. Depends on what kind of schedule you have her on too. But I would stick with the bottle schedule and just add 3 bowls of cereal in there some where so she starts out knowing 3 meals a day.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 5:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• always start with a small amount at a time. i swore i would never put cereal in my sons bottle but its the only thing that helps him to stay asleep at night. he still doesnt sleep through night though. try it out of a bowl first to see if she is ready for cereal.
    denisekeene

Answer by denisekeene at 5:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• A child's digestive system at that age can not handle that much of a change at once. One serving of prepared cereal 1 or 2 tablespoons. Start out with rice cereal. Before you do anymore, please contact your pediatrician. They will tell you how to start, what to watch for for food allergies. They can get some pretty serious tummy cramps and consitipation if you do too much too fast.
    Anonymous

• She should not change the amount of formula she takes during the day. If she does, you need to give her less formula. Keep in mind that mixing the cereal with formula helps with the ounce count!

You only start with one little serving and build from there. The cereal and baby food are only for practice, learning how to eat, not for nutrition.
    Anonymous

• Should you give a bottle during the day? Um....yeah, unless you're planning to switch to a sippy cup now. How else is she supposed to get her formula?
    Anonymous

• I breast fed, but when I stared solids it was allways from a bowl iwth a spoon. But I never did cereal, I stared off with bananas and avacados. Sometimes I would make a smoothie with banans avacados and almond milk and give it to them in a sippy cup though.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I would make up the bottle, use a little formula from it to make the cereal. After she ate the cereal she would then finish the bottle.
    Anonymous

• Have her drink half a normal size of a bottle, then feed her cereal, then the other half of the bottle. I would start with one solid feeding a day. She should be drinking the same amount of formula as she was prior to cereal. Cereal is not to fill her up, it's just to let her practice eating solids. Good luck!!!
    Anonymous