depression medicine while breast feeding?

I am currently 31. 5 weeks pregnant and before i got pregnant i was on Prozac but after i have the baby i want to breast feed but was wondering what depression medicine is safe to take while breast feeding and one with out weight gain side effects?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Health

• check out kellymom.com- they have a page on meds and their safety rating for bfing moms; lactmed.com is also a good site. You should also ask your doctor what they recommend and check those sites for that medicine.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I had a friend who took zoloft while breastfeeding cause its not supposed to come through the milk, but you should really talk to your doctor about it. And the other thing to remember is not all depression medications work for everyone, I was allergic to zoloft and I went through 6 meds before I found one that actually worked for me
    Anonymous

• I am currently BF and on welbutrin. but be careful!!! I was on 300 mg during preg and continued the same dose after. at 4-6 weeks my milk started to dry up. I had my IUD changed (i had the mirena cuz it wasn't supposed to affect milk but something was so I changed to the copper knowing it was a possibility it did but I had to cut back to 100 mg of welbutrin a day b/c i had a feeling it was drying it up. it seemed to come back better w the reduction of WB. but my depression came back so be careful. for me cutting the meds was the right choice b/c loosing my milk was destroying me worse then my depression ever had. Be careful, but remember... If you aren't mentally ok... you may not be able to be there 100% for your baby. I'm here if yo uneed to talk! (depressed for 12+ yrs.. Mom for 9 months)
    mouse888

Answer by mouse888 at 6:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2009