Formula feeding

How much formula should I be feeding my 8 day old baby? The pediatrician wanted me to supplement but I feel like she is never satisfied.

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 5:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you breastfeeding? I"m confused by the word supplement.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I am but not so much. I am trying to switch off with every feeding.
    xredstarsx

Answer by xredstarsx at 6:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Why does the pediatrician want you to supplement? Do you want to breastfeed? If you do, I would stop the supplementing and just nurse, nurse, nurse. At this stage, she is getting your supply going so it may seem like she is nursing a lot, but that is normal. As long as you are getting 7 or 8 wet diapers a day, she is getting enough.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• 8 day old babies are supposed to nurse constantly. The sucking is what builds your supply. She's behaving normally. If she's having plenty of wet diapers she's fine. Supplementing is detrimental to the breastfeeding supply. If you are that concernced you could pump one side while she feeds on the other to add to the stimulation (even if you can't get anything from pumping = some women cant = the stimulation still has an effect)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Babies who don't seem "satisfied" are generally going through growth spurts. Most commonly the first week, third week, six weeks, 8 weeks, 3-4 months, six months, nine months.

They nurse constantly to build a milk supply just before their spurt. They may be wakeful, fussy, and clingy. They have a strong drive to suck for this reason. It's normal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Listen to what your doctor say, not a bunch of random people on CM
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 6:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• A pediatrician is supposed to be a specialist in childhood disease and illness. They are not trained as lactation consultants nor nutritionists and do often give wrong advice to breastfeeding mothers. A wise pediatrician would refer a mother to a lactation consultant, just as an general practioner woukd refer an adult to a nutritionist.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Don't look for satisfied...newborns are the most demanding divas ever. Just look for dipe changes.

Be aware that continuing to switch can have a severely negative impact on your breastmilk supply. Your choice on what to do...just want you to know the risk. Nursing on demand, no matter how long or how often, is standard operating procedure right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• This exact reason is why so many moms are constantly giving information and telling mothers to be very informed when it comes to breastfeeding. Medical professionals are constantly sabotaging a baby's chance at receiving the best possible nutrition. 99% of the time when a doctor suggests supplementing due to baby appearing to be unsatisfied the doctors are dead WRONG!!!

Why do you feel baby is not being satisfied?  Just know if you want to breastfeed it is a 100% possible for you to do so.  This is a hurdle that is surmountable and usually just a complete misconception.  Can we help you give baby the best??

Anonymous