How many people are going to have to die before our society wakes up and people stop driving drunk?

It has become nearly a daily news story where I live. There is car accident after car accident caused by a drunk driver! And those are just the times when something happens. I can't even imagine how many times people drive drunk without an incident (yet).
Recently in my area two little boys were killed when a drunk driver crashed into their parents car. The parents are forever scared and lost their only children in the accident. The pain they are going through must be hell, and all because some POS thought it would be fun to drive after getting drunk.
Why do so many people do it? Don't they realize what idiots they are??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Unfortunately, it seems like one of those things where each person will have to be woken up individually. Until something terrible happens to them personally, those who drive drunk will continue to do it. So I guess that means A LOT more people are going to die. And if that is not bad enough, a new drunk driver is born everyday. So the circle of idiocracy continues.
    I agree with anon :46. The punishment is not severe enough. I live in AZ where we are supposedly tough on DUIs, but yet I have met several people who have been caught driving under the influence on more than one occasion, but they are still free and still have their drivers license. Not tough enough if you ask me.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 6:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• When pigs fly?
    Anonymous

• you watch too much tv.
    Anonymous

• They do it because the punishment is not severe enough. We were hit head on by a drunk driver when I was 35 weeks pregnant. It caused my membranes to rupture and our son came 5 weeks early and was in the nicu for 18 days. Her punishment? Over a year later, she lost her license for 30 days, went to jail for 36 hours, and is on two year probation. She was 2Xs over the limit with open containers (some empty and some half full) in the car. Sorry, the punishment did not fit the crime.
    Anonymous

• So by watching the nightly news I watch too much TV?? Yea, a half an hour a day is wayyyy too much isn't it?
    Anon I think you are one of those idiots who drives drunk and this post is offensive to you. But instead of coming out and admitting it you hide and try to put me down. Real mature.
    Anonymous

• well people are dying all over the world of other things, you dont hear about them all the time and worry about it unless you are wataching tv about it.
    Anonymous

Once you provide me an arguement with a little bit of logic behind it, maybe I will reply to it. In the meantime, your incoherent ramblings make no sense at all.
    Anonymous

• Drinking is an addiction and so is smoking pot which also causes lack of judgement and slow reactions. Any kind of mind-altering substance in large quantities cause accidents and there are too many addicted people on the roads. It makes me angry too but what can WE do? I never drink even one drink if I know I will be driving in the evening or any time.And I have never ever smoked pot.
    . Its just insane.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

Anonymous

• LOL op it looks like the bashers on here will find anything to bash others about.

I agree the punishment is not harsh enough, and each individual will have to be kicked in the balls before they make a change to the stupid sh** they do.
    aprilmommy123

Answer by aprilmommy123 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2009