What did it take for you to lose the weight?

My daughter is three, and I am still 30 pounds overweight. I lost 20 so far, and I really struggling to lose 30. I was watching, "celebrity body makeovers" and their trainers and how they did it. They say that to lose your mommy belly, you have to do 1.5 hours of cardio every day, and keep your calories at or below 1200..

Wow.. I've never been able to stay on a treadmill that long. For all those have done it, (lost the weight) is that what it takes? 1.5 hours of cardio every day?

sediqua

Asked by sediqua at 7:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• go low carb and be active
    Anonymous

• I do an hour a day/six days a week on the treadmill. I can eat 2000 calories a day and still post a 2lb. a week weight loss....which is the high end of healthy weightloss.

You can not spot train for fat. Your body will lose it from where it wants, when it wants. There is no 'trick' for losing the baby belly. If it's extra skin or a muscle issue no amount of dieting will fix it. Extra skin is a tummy tuck issue. A muscle issue is either crunches or tummy tuck(depending on how badly they've been stretched out). Cardio won't fix either of those problems.

No low carb. Your body NEEDS carbs to funtion properly. Just stay away from whites(white flours, sugar), and stick to whole grains. Find your calories per day and break that down into 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fats.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 8:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• 1200 Calories???? Wow...that sounds a little dangerous especially if you're doing 90 mins of cardio each day. People underestimate how much they actually NEED good calories. If you're not sustaining your body with the right amount of nutrients and vitamins your body will go into starvation mode and start storing EVERYTHING as fat. I'd like to invite you to join my free online club. You can put in your personal information and workout regimen and it will calculate a good meal plan for your and healthy caloric deficit to help you lose weight in a healthy manner. Just go to www.beachbodycoach.com/fit2succed. It's totally free and each day you log your workouts, you're automatically entered into a daily drawing for cash and prizes. I hope I was able to help!
    P.S. As a general rule Cardio isn't enough to get rid of the belly. IF you remember one thing, let it be this: MUSCLE BURNS FAT! You need weight training as well!
    ammil87

Answer by ammil87 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I lost 50 lbs and did NOT do that much cardio. I went walking 3 days a week and two days I did stairs. My condo complex has six sets of 3 flights. Walking took me 30 min tops and the stairs took me 15 min. I got down to 1200 calories but I would have had to eat more if I did as much cardio as they suggested in your example. I had more results from resistance bands and (light) weight training and not as much from cardio

Answer by admckenzie at 11:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i would say use an elliptical, not a treadmill, you can stay on it a lot longer and it works you jsut the same! losing weight is hard, it's a lot harder to take it off than it is to put it on, but don't worry, i'm 120 lbs overweight, and i am going to have to work my butt off when this baby gets out. I do try to keep my calories under 1500 though, but its hard. Drink lots of water eat lots of fruits and veggies and exercise!
    Anonymous

• actually 1200 is not bad...your limit should actually be 1500 in a day! i am sometimes at 1000 in one day.....it is all how your body can handle it!
    Do an even amount of weight, carido and lundges and etc. Try and stay away from the junk food/ fast food
    Good luck with the weight loss
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I do 60 minutes of treadmill time a few days a week,I just watch what I eat,drink plenty of water...I have lost over 140 pounds.Just start slow,recognize what triggers you to overeat and stick to healthy lifestyle changes.I eat 5-6 small mini meals a day and it works well for me.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I'm eating 2500 calories a day, drinking tons of water, nursing 2 kids, doing yoga in the mornings and a cardio workout like Pilates or ZUMBA during nap time. I've lost 12 pounds so far, and am now 9 pounds away from my pre-first child weight. I eat very healthy, mostly organic, limit my dairy and sugar and red meat, and force myself to choose the healthier alternatives in every situation (stairs instead of elevator, celery over cookies, water over punch or soda).
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 12:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Thank you so much for your all your suggestions, help and support. Today, I walked for an hour before the kids woke up , and walked for another hour after my daughter went to preschool. i checked my salt intake, cut out pickles and olives, and dropped 7 pounds in two days!!!!

Thanks so much.. you guys are so encouraging!!
    sediqua

Answer by sediqua at 2:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I bought the P90X workout series that you do for 90 days and the results are dramatic. You'll get really toned and slim with it, but it's expensive. I bought mine on Ebay for like $50 though, and that's cheap compared to what the original price is.
    Anonymous