Does anyone have a child who has ADD/ADHD? Are they medicated or not?

If they are how is it going? If not, why? My 12 year old son has ADHD and he isn't medicated. We have him in an inclusion class at his middle school and he is doing fine. My 8 1/2 year old supposedly has ADD. I refuse to medicate him. My older son was on meds at one time and I didn't like how he looked on them. I really didn't want to try other meds because I was afraid of side effects. Tell me your story.

sweetmom1007

Asked by sweetmom1007 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• For my son, we started with diet and environment and play therapy and behavior modification and all that jazz. It worked a little bit, but by the end of first grade they wanted to hold him back because he hadn't mastered enough to do well in second. He was also starting to alienate the kids in his class with his somewhat overwhelming behavior. Over the summer we tried two meds - the first one was awful but the second one has been great. After two months of school on meds he caught up and they promoted him to second grade and he gets along much better with his peers and siblings now. Things aren't perfect certainly, but you can definitely see a huge difference. I say, if you are getting the results you want without meds then you don't need them. But if you need something more, at least give meds a solid try and work with your doc to find the right med and dosage - try different things until you find what works.
    Elizabeth4980

Answer by Elizabeth4980 at 12:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• my son is medicated only weekdays for school
    Anonymous

• i have a hyper 4 yr old. he can behave when he understands consequences but my doc says he is way too young to say if he is --- so idk,,, but i am interested.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My 12 year old daughter has ADHD.  She is not on medication and she is a B average student.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• We refused to get our child evaluated. She gets mostly As in an academically advanced program.

There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2009