Miralax

My baby is 4 months old and hasn't had a BM in going on 5 days. I have done the recommended prune juice 2x daily and it is not helping. Is it safe to give Miralax and if so how much? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sure, go ahead!
    Anonymous

• I don't know about a 4 month old but my DS is 2 and I give him like a teaspoon of miralax in a cup of juice once a day.
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• What did the doctor say? If he ordered it, then he should tell you how much to use, not those of us who have no clue about your or your baby.
    Anonymous

• NO!!!!!!!!!! Miralax is NOT approved for pediatric use, and can have some pretty weird side effects. Google Miralax and children. You won't want to use it. How is your baby fed? I know that EBF babies can safely go 10 or so days without a bowel movement. As long as the end result is not dry, hard or pellet like, babies generally don't have to go every day.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• yes it is ok to take Miralax my child's pediatrician told me to give it to her but It has been so long since I have had to I forget how much to give call your doctor and ask them how much it is perfectly safe and did not hurt my daughter at all it is better for her to get it out then to keep it in and get very sick from it and be in pain ....call and ask and do what you think is right for your kid not these other moms or even me you will do just fine
    Kelly_Motherof2

Answer by Kelly_Motherof2 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I know this isn't any official information, but this is a discussion with real moms, and how Miralax affected their kids.
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=711279
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• NO medication is "perfectly safe".
    Anonymous

• It is perfectly normal for a breastfed baby to go more than a week without a bowel movement.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Is your baby clearly uncomfortable or is the doctor concerned? My second son hardly ever pooped as a baby so it isn't that unusual and doesn't mean there is a problem necessarily. Unless the doc wants you to give meds, I would leave the poor dear alone and relax about the poo. Let the doc prescribe the meds, not Cafemom folk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2009