My sister-in-law gave me her pump to use. Anyone else used a borrowed pump?

As you know breast pumps aren't cheap, so my sister-in-law gave me hers to use. Has anyone else used a borrowed pump?

babyphillips210

Asked by babyphillips210 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• as long as you sanitize it, you can use a previously used pump.
    denisekeene

Answer by denisekeene at 8:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I did and loaned the one I bought later. The milk never touches the actual pump so their is no need to worry about sanitation. You can buy new sterile supplies. People do it all the time.

One thing you may need to worry about is the pumps get worn out. If it's been used alot it might not have as much suction power as a new one.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• i "rented" one.. its just fine like other posts say as long as you sterilize it.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Yes...I borrowed one and just got another used one from my cousin to keep. I just buy new parts for the things that actually touch the milk and everything else is fine.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Yeah I used my sisters hand pump. I recommend a machine pump because doing it by hand is tiring. You might be able to find a place that supports bf and see if they will loan one out for free. I just recently found out that the wic program at my health dept loans them out if you have been bf for 6 weeks or more.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• that is great that you got a good pump. my friend gave me hers and it was in PERFECT condition. now, you can sterilize everything that came with it, or you can go to a medical supply store and tell them what you need. they may need to order the things. i think new supplies would be a better option since the ones that come with it may be worn out.
    Anonymous

• Yep, I purchased mine from a co-worker. "They" say you shouldn't but I didn't have any problems.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2009