Can anyone direct me to a good website/blog/book/personal story etc to help me think through how I can actively help my 7 month old sleep through the night? She sleeps 12 hours at night, but wakes up twice to eat during that time.

My baby is 7 months old and still wakes 2 times per night to eat. She was doing 9 hours straight at 3 and 4 months old but then gradually got worse and worse to the point where she is now doing only 4-5 hours straight before waking (I think her worsening sleep coincided with the beginning of teething). One night, we decided to let her "cry it out," and after one hour of screaming, I gave in an fed her. I couldn't take it any more....it felt so cruel. So now, a month later, my husband and I feel ready to be proactive about helping our daughter learn the skill of sleeping through the night. But I'd like to do some research on different methods so that we can decide what we think will work best for our little one. Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what will work best is to listen to what your little one needs. some babies arent ready to sleep through the night until they are a year old. for now, my suggestion is to wake up and feed her. it sucks but you really dont have a choice.
    denisekeene

Answer by denisekeene at 8:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• She's hungry, feed her. Not all babies are ready to sleep through the night. You can't MAKE a baby sleep if they aren't going to sleep.
    Anonymous

• my son is 21 months and is JUST now starting to understand and be able to sleep in his own room, in his own bed, and through the night. HE still wakes up crying wanting some cuddles and you have to understand they are kids and this will probably happen for a few more years to come. Kids get nervous and scared they will wait up and being seven months you baby could be hungry or teething bad or anything, baby is still too young to really say what is bother her. I would just have a strict schedule, feed her a nice hardy meal right before bed like oatmeal and some milk and then lay her down, if you can get her to sleep on her own then you are hurtles ahead of a lot of ppl. Getting her to sleep through the night might not happen until after the teething.....try asking your doctor about some teething aids. My son just cut his last tooth the I tooth so he's teething is pretty much done. GL mama!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I consider 4-5 hours a sleep through. When I sleep 8 hours a wake at least once to go to the bathroom then go back to bed and this is considered normal adult behavior. Why is it different for your little one? If i slept 12 hours and had a small stomach I'd wake twiceto eat too! Sleeping long stretches coincides with growth spurts -- we do a lo of growing in our sleep as children. Once the spurt is over there is no need to sleep so long unti the next milestone.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• 5 hours is considered sleeping through the night so Congrats you have done it! If baby is hungry feed baby. It is never right to withhold food from your child when they are hungry. As a parent the very basics of our "job" is to make sure baby is fed, clean and dry. In all honesty, those days of sleeping 12 hours flew out the window once baby arrived. Go to sleep when baby does and you will end up with plenty of sleep even waking for 2 feedings.

Anonymous

• It's only twice. That's normal still at this age. Feed her and go back to sleep. Sorry to be so blunt, but I envy you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• i think the growth spurt is correct. because my little one is waking more often lately too. and sleeping alot during naps during the day. she is teething badly also. so i think once this passes its back to her routine. i just go by her direction. as bad as this sounds it works for us. we do sleep her in bed and then i put her in her crib. sometimes she sleeps on her own in her crib. also lately rubbing her head and just softly talking to her has done the trick. just listen to ur own instincts. the baby usually kind of tell ya what they need. i know when its hunger and not just play time she just constantly cries and moves for like 10mins. but every baby is differnt. don;t wait an hour. just go with the flow. the baby will be ready when she is ready. good luck
    Anonymous

• My DD started sleeping through the night at 18 mos. She usually would wake to nurse. What I started doing was patting her back if she woke before midnight. She was so tired she would go right back to sleep. Anything after midnight and I would nurse her. She just gradually started waking less after that.. She sleeps 11 hours straight at night now.

It sounds like your LO is right on point.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Your baby is perfectly normal. My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept six solid hours; she was around 14 months when she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis. Co-sleeping kept me from losing my mind; I was able to doze or sleep while she ate.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I agree with the pp's, but the "no cry sleep soloution" by elizabeth pantly has some really good suggestions and tips for encouraging her to sleep longer
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2009