college grants or scholorships?

so I'm not exactly going "back" to school, I'm actually a high school senior. I'd like to go to college for culinary i haven't quite decided where to go though. i was wondering where i could find some good college grants or scholarships where it won't be too confusing to find what I'm eligible for. I'm (technically) a single mother and i have two little monsters. also the schools that i am looking at I'd have to get an apartment off campus and the majority around there seem expensive. would anyone know where to get financial housing assistance? oo and anything bout getting a cheap car would be nice too. =/

ashy92

Asked by ashy92 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in

• I only know about grants for a communitity college. You start by filling out a FAFSA at FAFSA.gov.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 8:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• with fafsa. gov you can get up to 6000 in pell grants thats what i get i am single mom of 2. Then you apply for studnet loan money top help yyou out, i get 5000 every 6 months in student loans. you have to pay that backl as far as scholarships here is a link to all scholarships avaiable. www.scholarships.com I go to school online at University of Phoenix , good luck
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 8:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• In order to qualify for financial aid, you have to fill out the FAFSA (www.fafsa.gov, as the PP said). And www.fastweb.com is a good resource for finding appropriate scholarships/grants you might qualify for.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My nephew is a graduate of the CIA; contact me offlist if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• And a word of warning: Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• First, stay away from University of Phoenix...they have so many complaints against them. Second, the fafsa is an APPLICATION for financial aid. It is NOT a source of funding. It tells you what you MAY be eligible for. It is what the government and schools use to determine what your share is and what you are eligibile for in grants, loans, etc. If you don't fill it out, you cannot get any funding from a school. Talk to your guidance counselor, they should be able to help you to...that is their job. What you are eligible for depends on your parents income (if they are helping or not--until you turn 24), how much you make, when you apply (there are deadlines to meet) and what is available. It also depends on how many dependents you have. Some will depend on your grades.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2009