my son....HELP!!!

is there anything the dr can can give my 20mth old son to increase his appetite? Has anyone ever had to do this? My son is 25-26lbs which is fine, but I have always had to fight him for him to eat. Puttin him in his highchair is like bein ww2 lol! It seems like lately he is just pickin at his plate and he wont eat it from me either HELP!!! any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He will eat when he is hungry. I think my older two boys flourished by eating air. I don't think they ate anything from the age of one to about three. lol and they still grew fine. DOn't worry about it. I also would not fight with your LO about the highchair. Pick your battles. I would let him sit in a normal chair and he may eat better. He has all the power if you allow him too, if you fight with him about it, then he is in control. Just make it a non issue for a while and he will come around and start eating more and calm down at meal time.
    Good luck, if he is growing he is getting enough food.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• First off, take a deep breath; I'm sure everything is fine. :)

Remember that toddlers don't need nearly as much as we do; they only need about 1/4 the caloric intake adults need, which is only 500-600 calories a day. That's maybe one meal for us, but spread that out for the entire day with toddlers. Also, with toddlers, you have to look at their eating habits over a period of several days to a week; some days they may eat more than the rest of your family combined, and some days they might eat practically nothing, but it should even out over time.

How is his growth? If he's still following his growth curve more or less and not dropping drastically in height or weight over a short period of time, there's definitely no need to worry. Talk to his doctor if it will calm your nerves, but there's probably nothing you need to worry about.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I dont think there is anything the doc will do unless he is loosing weight. but my son although only 16 months is the same way. you may want to try just leaving some whole grain crackers on his tray so he can grab some when he wants it. my son will also eat anything he sees someone else eat. like he wont touch food all day but as soon as my dad comes home from work and makes a sandwich my son is all over him wanting a bite..lol. I have my doctor giving me a prescription for vitamins just to make sure he is getting some nutrients since he doesn't eat much. also make sure he isn't drinking alot through out the day. the liquid could fill him up. good luck. you can write me if you want to ask me anything else
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• He'll eat when he's hungry. Like you said, his weight is fine. Kids eat more when they have a growth spurt, and less when they feel sick, are not having a growth spurt and are not hungry. Some kids have sensory issues, and the texture of the food can be enough to start a war in their eyes. And then it could just be that he doesn't like the food you give him. I suggest putting different kinds of food on a platter and setting it out for him. Don't say anything about it, just set it down and leave. This is a great way to find out what kinds of foods he does/doesn't like, so you can buy the right things and avoid the WW2 scenes you described. Also, keep in mind that seventy to seventy-five percent of what we perceive as taste actually comes from our sense of smell. Taste buds allow us to perceive only bitter, salty, sweet, and sour flavors. It's the odor molecules from food that give us most of our taste sensation.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• thanks ladies! i just worry..ive never seen a child not want to eat before and he has always been this way even on formula. I just dont know what to do anymore:(
    Anonymous