My son is almost nine months old and is biting me! How do I stop this?

He just got his top and bottom four teeth and whenever he is nursing, he will bite me slightly. I don't want this to turn into full blown chomping so what do I do? I was told to slightly tap his cheek and firmly tell him no so I do that. It doesn't even bother him. What do I do???

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• bite him back
    Anonymous

• I have say no really loud. That has worked for me. I also stop the feeding. Then start back up later. And no don't bite him back. He is only 9 months old.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 9:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• ok im sure you have the good sense not to bite him back. good greif. but yeah i had the same trouble with a few of mine and did as you suggested and it worked. they cried cuz it scared them but they learned and I had my nipples still attached. I mean ouch. good luck and good for you for nursing so long. I made it 15months at the longest.
    debmom07

Answer by debmom07 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I surely hope you don't bite him back. Wow, I can't believe anyone can be a parent sometimes. He's too young to really understand why it's not ok, and he's just trying to figure out what they're for. Give him something else to bite and chew
    on instead. And if he does bite you, just put him down and walk away, after you tell him it's not ok to bite. You will have to constantly tell him no, because as I said, he's too young to understand.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I never had any bites during nursing, but my daughter would bite my husband during this time. He would say ouch really loudly and say that it hurt. We only had a couple of biting incidents then.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 9:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I was told by LLL leader to pull them INTO your breast until they let go while yelling ouch and then sit them down. Did this twice with my first and 3 times with my second and not one bite after that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Many babies will stop nursing completely if mom shouts. Considering how large a part of their immune system breastmilk is, that's a risk that's probably not worth taking.

If, say, a 9mo baby was capable of forming the intent to injure, then perhaps doing something violent like biting would be reasonable. I mean, sure, biting a 32yo, but a 9mo who has no idea what he's doing? It's sheer cruelty and borders on abusive.

It is normal for a child this age to notice that biting gets a reaction, and the experience of teething is painful enough to make them chomp on everything available. Two things can help mom avoid injury and not traumatize the baby:

~ pull the baby in to block his nose will incite his natural instinctive response of opening his mouth, and voila... several repeats and he learns without trauma

~ watch carefully and keep a finger near the corner of his mouth, pop it in if he starts to clamp to stop it
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2009