how am i suppose to deal with ppl telling me....

that I am a paranoid, stressed out mommy? we're about to move to my sisters house and she has a 3 yr old boy and a 12 yr old girl. So, small little cars, balls, candies, beads, etc! I'm worried my toddler(21mnths) will be unsafe unless under CONSTANT supervision! We visited and I was having to constantly pick things off the floor and out of his mouth and away from his ears.....I tried to tell them my concerns but I keep getting the "you're being paranoid", "stop stressin"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All I can say is, don't move in.
    Anonymous

• It does not sound like a safe environment for your little one.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I agree with PP. Its not going to stop just because you now live there. I understand your concern and most likely nothing bad will happen, but if you cant shake the feeling that it will, find your own place where you can parent and supervise to your hearts content.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Well, yeah, sounds like keeping little toys out of your toddler's mouth is going to be a full time job, unless the kids, or mom, or you, or somebody keeps all the little things picked up out of your toddler's play area all the time, and that's a full time job too. lol. It will be okay, momma. Maybe you're not paranoid, just anticipating how much work it's going to be.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Well, he is going to put things in his mouth teach him not to. Give him a time out every time he does it give him a warning then a time out if he doesn't listen. It works but you have to be constant with it. Time out is 1 minute per age.
    goodmama

Answer by goodmama at 9:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If you have to live with her, then it's on you to pick up and baby proof. Otherwise, get a new place to stay.
    Anonymous

• I hope I don't come off as rude or insensitive and if I do I apologize, but at 21 months he's almost 2 years old and kind of past that stage where they put everything in their mouth, so maybe you are being a little paranoid. I mean sure, I wouldn't leave him in the room with all the junk on the floor unsupervised because you just never know, but chances are he's going to want to play with everything rather than taste it or stick it in his ear. But unfortunately if you have to live there and have no other choice, this is something you're going to have to deal with if the other kids/mom aren't very tidy. I know how much it sucks, I was living with my MIL from the time my daughter was 14 months-2 years old and she was a flat out slob. I constantly had to pick up her trash everywhere so my daughter wasn't living in filth. Good luck though and try not to stress!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Actually, 2 is not at the point where they stop putting things in their mouth. 3 is more like it and sometimes still at 4.

Anonymous

• I don't know. My son is almost 18 months old and is way past that stage. Heck, we let him play with hot wheelers. I know that if he puts something in his mouth that is not food, he will immediately spit it back out (twig, cat food, tissue, etc.) and hand it to me. We do rountinely check the smaller toys (hot wheel cars) to make sure the wheels are not coming off, etc. The smaller things such as marbles, puzzle pieces, guns/weapons for action figures and barbie accessories should be kept in the older kids' bedroom until your little one is a bit older. Maybe they can let u know they are bringing it out and you can remind them to put it back in their room when they are done and supervise your little one. The 12yr old should know better by now.
    Anonymous

• you have to teach your baby "no"...You can't keep moving stuff out of his path his entire life. If he picks something up tap his hand the first couple of times and tell him "no" in a stern voice..this will upset him, he will get the point and then when he just hears "no" he will understand that he is not to do it. It does'nt take long to teach a child this and its NOT abuse. He will eventually get the point and understand and all you will have to do is give him what i call "the look"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2009