What is the easiest way to wean a stubborn child??

My son will be 1yr. in Tues. and I want to wean him off breastfeeding but my recent tries have failed so what is the easiest way to wean a stubborn child (i promise he gets his stubbornness from his dad LOL)?

NHARDY

Asked by NHARDY at 9:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With mine, I started giving them sippy cups during meals and from there, just started breastfeeding less and less until they were weaned. It was a very gradual thing.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Cold turkey.
    Anonymous

• The easiest way is child led weaning. The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give him a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc. There is great info here: www.childledweaning.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• the WHO and AAP recommend a minimum of 2 years so if you can I say keep going. Kudos for making it so long though. If you absolutely must wean then drop one nursing a week and DO NOT go cold turkey as you will likely give yourself mastitis. As for what to do just stand your ground and replace nursing with something else like time with daddy or a sippy cup or cuddling with mom with no nursing etc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• The easiest is to just let it happen naturally. It will happen eventually, it's inevitable. It's so much more to them than just food, it's love and comfort...
    And please, DON'T do cold turkey, you could end up with an infection.
    bamsmom2001

Answer by bamsmom2001 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Perhaps your son knows something you don't:

Breastmilk continues to be a vital part of his immune system until well past 2.

He feels safe there and insecure and rejected everywhere else.

You never know...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I agree with the not going cold turkey! Your child equates breastfeeding with love and nurturing, I wouldn't just take it away abruptly. Weaning means to slowly cut down on something anyway, so just try to skip one feeding at a time by keeping him occupied at the usual time he wants to bf. Maybe reduce by one feeding every week, just see how it goes for you and him. It's different for everyone. But unless it's a personal reason, just because he's a year old, doesn't mean you HAVE to wean.

Personally, my son weaned on his own slowly and then completely by 13 months. He was just too busy to be bothered with it anymore! lol And he is a stubborn one too, trust me! Maybe just give a little more time and see if he decides he's done? Or do a slow mommy led weaning, but I personally definitely don't agree with cold turkey! For your health reasons and his emotional reasons!!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 1:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• It sounds like i asked this question myself. My daughter just turned 14 months old on turkey day, and I have been trying to wean her since she was 12 months old too. She is also stubborn like her daddy. When I try not to nurse her at night time, tried this twice, she will scream her head off and climb on top of me like someone is killing her. She has always been nursed to sleep at bedtime and naptime. and she co-sleeps with us. If she wants to nurse and I try and give her a sippy cup of whole milk she with throw it at me or on the floor. I would suggest like the other mom said, to try and distract them when it comes the time for them to nurse. Try to cut out that feeding time everyday at that time for a week til they no longer want to nurse at that time. so if you have been nursing 5 times a day, try to get it to only 4 times a day for a whole week. If you find something that works for you and you get him weaned let me know.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• well you wanted him to BF and NOW you just want him to stop? Are you cruel! The best way is to SLOWLY wean!!!!!!!!! Many recommend allowing baby to self wean and just because they are almost 12mos does not mean they are ready! He is not stubborn but does not want to give up what he knows...common sense here....WHY do you ask the smae questions OVER AND OVER!!!!
    Anonymous

• well i went to only feeding my lil one three times dayfeeding for both her naps and at bedtime, then i cut the times in half a week later, like if i was nursing for 5 minutes on each breast i would cut time to 2 and half minutes.a week later i cut out one of her feedings for her 1st nap. then so on.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009