Should she go back to school?

My daughter who's 7 1/2 just got sick this weekend.It first started with a mucous cough then a slight fever then she threw up,all better now except the cough.I know we will have to see if she has a temp in the morning.Do you think a mucousy cough is bad enough to stay home?Also she doesn't have much of a appetite.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• no
    Anonymous

• most schools want child to be fever free for at least 24hrs before comming back to school
    Anonymous

• Well we assumed she had a fever,her head did feel warmer than normal and her face got a red blotch on her cheek does that sound like a fever would do that?She has fair skin and blotches anyways but this one looked like a fever one?
    Anonymous

• If she have been fever free for 24 hours and vomit free for 48 hours, then she can go to school.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• No. Send her back when she's well.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Even if she doesn't have a temp today, if she had one yesterday then she should stay home. Kids need to be 24 hours fever free before returning to school.
    Elizabeth4980

Answer by Elizabeth4980 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• a red blotch on her cheek could mean she has Fifth's disease, which is a common viral illness for school aged children. It usually has a fever and red face, almost like the child got slapped. It's pretty harmless, except for kids with immune problems, but it can VERY dangerous for pregnant women, especially in the first trimester. Being a teacher, the school nurse ALWAYS tells us when someone has had it, because it can cause miscarriage and fetus death. When I was pregnant, we had a huge outbreak at both my schools, but I went to the OB and got a blood test that showed I was immune (meaning I either already had it, or had been exposed to it) I would call the Drs. office and tell them about the red face- they may want to see your child.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2009