How did u get your baby to sleep all night??

TiffanieAnn

Asked by TiffanieAnn at 9:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ugh!! I'm still trying to figure this one out!! my daughter's 11 month's now...when she was younger she would wake EVERY 1 hr-2hrs!! and I was a single mom so it was hard. But try giving her/him oatmeal snack before bedtime..
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 10:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Children's sleeping patterns change all the time over the first 3-4 years of thier lives. It can be very trying for parents. There isn't really anything you can "do" to help them sleep for longer spells. Often times they stir as they are changing through their sleep cycle. The best answer I have found is to co-sleep. Co-sleeping means your child sleeps in close proximity to you. Bedsharing is, obviously, when you share a bed. Many people are uncomfortable with bedsharing, and I don't blame them. I was relieved to get my dd out of our bed. But she sleeps in a toddler bed right next to me. So when she wakes at night she is close to me & neither of us have to wake completely to get her settled back in. Children get scared & lonely at night, it's good for them to be close to you. Don't believe the hype that you will never get them out of your room. Eventually they will be ready for thier own space!
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 11:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I waited until my kids slept through the night on their own --saved me a lot of grief and frustration trying to be in control of stuff outside my control.

Sleep when your baby sleeps and you'll find you get enough sleep without expecting a small, growing baby to live without food for any length of time.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My son is 18 months and still doesn't sleep through the night every night. I'm as lost as you are.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Patience!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Time and love. Both of my kids sleep through the night, and have never cried themselves to sleep. They are 14 months and 2.5. The toddler needed a double bed, the 14 month old needed a crib. It's about finding out what helps your child feel secure at night. We coslept with the toddler for a while, so we finally figured out she wanted a real mattress. The baby hated cosleeping, so we tried a crib and a bed. She preferred the crib.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• For mine, I gave them a small silkie blankie that I wore under my shirt for short periods of time so it smelled like me, and a "hearbeat" bear (white noise machine would work just as well). We had a very strict bedtime schedule and sometimes they may have fussed for a few minutes, but not more than 5-10. They all were sleeping 8 plus hours by 2 months.

Answer by missanc at 8:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I used the Baby Whisperers bedtime routine, since we bought Evie home from hospital....she is 16 months old now and she has never woken up thru the night, apart from to breastfeed in the first 6 weeks. Depending on the age of your baby, and how many naps they have. Never let your baby nap later than 4pm and have a good consistant bedtime routine, bath, bottle, story bed....if all else fails try the pick up put down technique, in the book....i swear by this book, and so do many other of my yummy mummy friends!
    eviesmummy

Answer by eviesmummy at 9:05 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• The best thing we ever did was take the stupid baby monitors out of their room. That way I only woke up when they were dead serious. I never did the co-sleeping, never saw the point in that. But both kids would grunt and whine and groan in their sleep, and then they would fall back asleep. Both kids when through a phase when they were toddlers that they woke up in the middle of the night. I would go in there, pat their backs and put them back to bed. Sometimes they cried for a while, but neither child did that for more than a month. My son went through a phase at around 1 year where he didn't want to sleep when we had people over. Those times he just cried till he fell asleep. He didn't NEED to be awake, he was tired, he NEEDED to go to sleep. But we were lucky, we never had a problem with our kids sleeping through the night. My family takes sleeping very seiously lol, luckily my kids got that from me lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:35 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• They did it on their own before they were 3 months old. *I* didn't do anything, they did it on their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009