What can I give my 13 month old DD for a runny nose/cough???

She started to get a runny nose a few days ago...then watery eyes...now its a congested cough...I feel so bad for her and I dunno what I can give her.

TiffanieAnn

Asked by TiffanieAnn at 10:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My mom's a respiratory therapist. Here are a few tips she gave me.

Lay your little one across your lap on her stomach and pat her back to loosen the congestion. You don't want that to settle in her lungs. Also, my mom told me that if a person sleeps on their back, or lays on their back for extended periods of time, the congestion is more likely to settle in the lungs.

I would use a vaporizer in her room at night, to keep all that loosened up so it can be coughed out. It shouldn't stay in,...

Meanwhile, ask her pediatrician what medicine she can take. (I'd love to recommend one, but my kids haven't been that small in 12 years.)
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If you're breastfeeding, a few drops of milk in the nose works wonders! Also, of course saline drops and then suction out the nose. A humidifier is a great idea.
    bamsmom2001

Answer by bamsmom2001 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I put a few eucalyptus oil drops on the corner of her sheet and it knocks the congestion out long enough to get a good night's sleep.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• you could try Little Noses Saline Spray - they also make one for congestion.  

MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 5:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2009