someone answer please.

I was breastfeeding my daugther and the last couple of days I havent I started giving her the bottle cause she seemed like she wasnt getting full. She is 2 months I havent breastfeed her in like a week I feel bad now and wish i would have kept breatfeeding if I tell my dr is there something I can tske for my milk to come in again so I can keep breast feeding her???

rissa1789

Asked by rissa1789 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should be able to relactate.
    Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Listen to rkoloms. All of that is great advice.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Looks like you have lots of great advice! Definatly look for some kind of natural herb tabs. I know they have them out there, one of my friends used to take it and passed them on to me to use when my daughter is born! Good Luck!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Just wanted to add to rkoloms (all great advice) an herbal supplement called Fenugreek. It can be bought at a health food store. It increases the amount of milk you produce.
    Don't second guess yourself. Chances are you were producing enough milk for her. She was probably going through a growth spurt and it can seem as if she is not geting enough milk. Just keep track of her diapers and you will know if she is getting enough.
    Good Luck!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 10:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• All the other advice is great, but I want to add put that pumped milk in a supplemental nursing system (SNS) and put baby to breast to get it and throw away the bottles. Not literally, because you need them for pumping and the SNS, but stop giving anything in bottles and give all pumped milk and formula in the SNS. I had a friend who adopted a baby and induced lactation so I KNOW that women can relactate who were previously nursing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• She will probably still latch on if it's only been a week and you probably still have some milk.
    I would put her at breast always before giving a bottle
    Pump after every feeding and try to add in extra ones like before you go to bed
    Like someone else suggested... an SNS would work well... that way your baby is at the breast stimulating milk production but still getting milk... and not going back and forth between a bottle and breast
    I had some trouble with my supply and found that More Milk Plus worked the best for me
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Fenugreek is the only herbal supplement i have used and it seemed to help. Also pump pump pump (as much as it sucks) and get her to latch as often as possible. don't feel bad, but get back to it ASAP
    mouse888

Answer by mouse888 at 7:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• A word of warning; I tried fenugreek and the smell of my breastmilk made me nauseous. I did not have that problem with the brewers yeast tablets.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• it is true the fenugreek has a maple sort of smell and every thing liguid that comes out will smell sweet but it works for me also stinging nettle and mothers milk tea
    1sexymama619

Answer by 1sexymama619 at 8:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• And just so you know when a baby seems "unsatisfied" it usually means a normal growth spurt where they start nursing frequently and voraciously to build up milk supply for their growing. It's normal. The sucking is what builds the supply.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2009