When do kids start being able to catch a ball from the air?

My DH has been trying to teach our barely 2 yr old to catch a football. I was just wondering when your child was able to do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It varies a lot on what kinds of things the child has been exposed to, as well as how often things have been thrown near him and at him. Some kids can't do it at 5 because they don't have that innate ability or have never had many things thrown near them, while others can do it way before 2 because they do... or have.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• When you teach them how. Even if they have the instinct for it, they won't be all that successful at it without practice. And in the meantime, tell your husband to start with rolling or bouncing a regular big rubber ball back and forth. The football is expecting a lot.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Depends on the kid. My 7yo daughter still can't catch a ball to save her life. She just has no hand/eye coordination. My 8yo son can do it to a point (like with a big ball) and learned when he was about 5 or 6. We don't play a lot of ball, though.
    But there was this kid my neighbor babysat for who was 3 (it was actually his 3rd birthday when I met him) and the kids could not only catch any kind of ball but could play most sports. He had a basketball hoop (those little tykes ones) and would stand like 8 feet away and shoot baskets, he could kick a soccer ball like a pro, hit and catch baseballs. Kid was a natural. My kids were 2, 3 and almost 5 and they were in awe. My almost 5yo stood in front of the basket (which was about as tall as her) and still missed, lol. And she couldn't catch the basketball when it bounced off.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Well my DH has been throwing soft balls (as in balls that are soft) at our son since he was like 3 months old. He is 17 months and can catch a small ball out of the air about 10% of the time? And he can throw like you wouldn't believe. Almost took my tooth out with a hard ball. But ball is his favorite game and we play ALLL the time. Its easier for him to catch and throw if he is a little bit higher then us so we sit on the floor and he climbs on his toy box and we toss the ball back and forth for what seems like hours. I hide the balls sometimes coz I just get sick of it. Ball was his second word (after food). He sees balls in books and goes ball! ball! ball! lol. We were at my sisters and he found a lemon that he thought was a ball and was throwing that thing around. He will even play fetch with himself if he can't get any one to play with him. He will throw the ball run and get it and throw it again LOL
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 9:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My kids could catch a round ball by about 18 months... A kids sized football around 2 years. All are different. If Dad wants to play catch try a nerf kids sized football!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My 3 yr old started catching balls when she was about 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• They are all different. My almost 2 year old can catch a ball. My three year old was able to at around 2 1/2. My younger son has always had better fine motors. My three year old was also a preemie so maybe that has something to do with it. It all depends on the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2009