kids getting into your stuff

We live in a very small mobile home so putting things up or away is nearly impossible. We have baby gates to keep my 2 younger ones in a designated area but our 3 year old climbs over them and comes into our room to hang out with her dad (who spends a lot of time on his xbox in there) or play on our computer. I wouldn't have a problem with it but she always messes SOMETHING up. Either she'll change or delete things on the computer by just randomly clicking things and I don't know how to fix it or she'll throw our pillows on the floor (vacuum all I want dirt and stuff build up to fast and easy for it to be clean enough for something I'm going to rub my face on all night) or just plain play with things that are just NOT TOYS! EEGGGHH! I just needed to vent. My ONLY question: How and where do YOU put the line between adults stuff and things your kids can look at/play with??? ESPECIALLY in such small living spaces?

kira_5105

Asked by kira_5105 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids know they are not to play in mommy and daddy's bedroom. It is the only room in the house with not one toy in it. Computers are off limits unless it's a supervised game. Set those rules and give a time out (or whatever) to show her it is not negotiable. Does she get to spend very much time with dad? If he spends "a lot" of time in there playing his games, maybe he could hold off on those until after the kids are in bed and spend time with them while they are awake. Sounds like she wants to just hang out with dad. You could also set a password on the computer so she can't do anything to it. Be consistant and keep reminding her that she is not allowed to play in your room or with your stuff. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Generally I found it simpler and took less mangement on my part to put away (as in, in boxes in storage) stuff that I wasn't willing to police the exploration of.

Either supervise her or put it where she cannot get near it. Everything else is a recipe for permanent frustration.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• well i supervise my kids and if thhey are touching something they should not, then we discipline them... so the line is hard to draw... computer... a no.. stero a no... coasters... don't have a problem with that... tupperware, fine with me....

what it really sounds like is dad needs to get off the xbox and watch his kids... really it sounds like less of a kid issue and more of a parenting issue.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• She wants to spend time with her dad. You have 3 options 1. tell him to only play games while she is asleep 2. move the computer and xbox to the living room where she won't be in your room 3. put everything up in your room you don't want her to touch.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 30, 2009