My 3 year old son just recently started pottying on the carpet and not where he knows hes supposed to.We've tried to get on to him about it , reward him for pottying in potty, even started telling him he wasn't going to get presents for Christmas if he did not stop doing that. He doesn't seem to care.I am 7 months pregnant with my second child and can't keep cleaning pee out the carpet.It's driving me insane, please help what do I do ?????

kjsmom723

Asked by kjsmom723 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you discapline him at all? I'd redirect my child the first few times then after that he would be getting a butt smacking! Empty threats aren't going to stop him. He needs something to actually be afraid of to stop doing it. Im not saying you want him scared or to beat him but im saying 3 year olds are smart. He knows he is gonna get presents and he knows even if he doesnt potty in the toilet nothing is going to happen to him. Discapline is what he needs.
    Anonymous

• He learns by example. Have dad stop peeing on the carpet...btw, a 3 yr old has no idea what you are talking about when you say he's not getting presents for xmas so it's not he doesn't care, he just doesn't know what the heck you are talking about.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like he knows where he is supposed to potty. This makes it a discipline issue. Maybe choose a consequence and warn him what will happen if he disobeys again. Then follow through!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• WTF??? Did you just state that you struck your child with a belt? Not only is that against the law but it's abuse! What other things are you punishing this small child for and with what?? Maybe he's emotionally disturbed and acting out because his mother physically abuses him!.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You have to follow through. Tangible consequences..things that he can see and experience. Say, you decide you will make him stand in the corner every time he pees on the carpet. The first day, tell him up front the moment he is awake and aware what the consequences are if he does. If he does jump right into the time out. But when he does use the potty, party time baby! Have a lil radio on the top of the potty, turn it on and let him have a potty party! Throw some stickers in if you can!! But, each time he goes pee p(ee on the carpet... time out! I make my son stay faced on the wall for three minutes,(he is three years old) thats his time out. Good luck!
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 3:53 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Like the above answers. Would like to add that he's doing for attention & he likes the reaction he gets out of you. Give more attention for other things/situations. Stop reacting to peeing on floor. By reacting I mean getting upset, keep punishing him. Just do it w/ no frustration in your voice. If you know when he usually pees try taking him into the bathroom & putting him on the toilet before he has to go. Keep him there w/ a story or other positive reinforcement.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You don't have to hit your kids to make them use the potty. Geez, I'm not against spanking, but anyone who refers to spanking as a "butt smacking" isn't doing it properly.

Make him clean it up. Stop threatening him. Have a calm clear consequence (clean up then time out).
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My fully trained daughter starting doing this same thing recently. It was done for attention and I know this because I had just started back to work for three days a week and she only did it when I was watching her and not my husband or the sitter. It only lasted a few days and she is now back to peeing on the potty every time. At first she got a reaction out of me and that was exactly what she was looking for. After the first couple of times I just cleaned it up and calmly told her next she needs to pee in the potty. It took a day or so of her seeing that it wasn't working for getting attention so she stopped. I know it is extremely frustrating but just tough it out and eventually he'll go back to the potty. Also try giving him more attention during other parts of the day.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 10:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2009