Pregnant moms with older kids... how do you deal with symptoms?

I'm newly pregnant, 4 weeks 3 days, and I gotta say, the symptoms are kicking my ass. The morning sickness has been really manageable, I'm not vomiting, and mostly I just feel like I ate too much after every time I eat (even when I definately did not). But the fatigue... ladies, it's killing me. Some days I don't absolutely NEED a nap, but about every third day I do. And if I don't take one I have a hard time staying awake by about 7 pm. I have an 18 month old, I can't be this non-functioning! I'm afraid to drive because it makes me so sleepy. I get so tired I can't concentrate almost every day.

How can I deal with this? I don't want to neglect my daughter because I'm zoned out, tired out of my mind all the time!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• you need to nap everytime you 18 mo old does, and go to bed when she does.... in a few more months you'll have more energy. Right now do what you have to. But at 18 mo, you child should stilll sleep about 12 hours at night and take a 1-2 hour nap, regardless of weather or not you NEED the nap, your daughter goes down for a nap, so do you.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I had similar issues when I was pregnant with my 3rd son. My middle son was 18 months old when I became pregnant. I actually fell asleep at a stoplight once!!! The good news is, it didn't last too long. Probably about 6 or 7 weeks. Rather than take a chance, when I knew I was just too tired, I would put my older son in the play pen, and lay down next to him on the sofa. He was pretty active, but this seemed to work until the exhaustion ended. Good Luck, and congratulations on your babies!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I'd talk to my dr about it and see what can be done. My oldest child took lots of naps so I napped when he napped.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I had the same problem with my last pregnancy. I usually take liquid B complex and it really helps with my energy but when I got pregnant I stopped taking it. When I told my doctor about how tired I was she told me that I didn't have to stop taking the B complex and that it wouldn't have any adverse effect with the prenatal vitamins. Once I started taking both vitamins I needed fewer naps. Never turn down a nap when you can get one though. They are far and few between.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I'm 8 weeks pregnant, have a 13 months old, and a 8, 9, and 12 year old. I'm really tired and DO need a nap everyday, so I nap when my 13 month old does. Yes, my house is a little messier than usual, and the meals have been more takeout (dh will bring home a bucket of chicken or some barbecue so all I have to do is sides) but it's temporary and hopefully I'll have my energy back in a few weeks. Just take some time for yourself and allow time for naps.

Answer by missanc at 7:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2009