Cooking good tasting food with Celiac?

18 years ago my mom put my little sister up for adoption. Next week she is moving back in with my mother. We had an open adoption so we have always known each other. Well my sister has Celiac and was just diagnosed with it last year. My mom will be changing everyone in her households diet to a gluten free one, however I have always heard most of the food can be pretty gross. She would have done it if my brother or I had ended up with celiac also but we didnt so she never had to worry about it. Anyone have recipies for good tasting food that is also gluten free. I actually based my whole wedding menu around her allergy and know that most meats and potatos dont have gluten but my sister and brother both are REALLY picky so I want to be able to help my mom out to make sure they both eat healthy food that tastes good also.

mommyin07n08

Asked by mommyin07n08 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Publix has like a whole Aisle of gluten free foods! I seen it today was absolutely amazed, though i do not have a problem with gluten i do know it is a good thing to know they had cookie and cake mixes everything was there Awesome! Hope ive helped some :-D
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Publix is only in 4 states. Mine is not one of them. I worked at Publix in high school though so I know what your talking about. We have a whole foods but they are REALLY expensive.
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I have to say, not that many gluten-free things are gross - just some of the pre-made boughten things, like bread/buns. Your mom's just going to have to make a lot of things homemade. It's not going to be cheap! A store in my area has a baking mix (like bisquik but gluten free) that makes awesome pancakes & things, a lot of stuff can be made using the right variety of other "startches" (potato starch, corn starch, etc - powders in bags) - I've had amazing onion rings and other baked goodies made from that stuff. Betty Crocker has come out with a small line of gluten free cake/cookie/dessert mixes too. There are groups on here for Celiac's & gluten-free living, I suggest joining those. Also, check out 5dollardinners.com - the $5 mom has kids with health issues and used to cook all gluten-free, and still cooks mostly gluten free, on a budget - and it's all good food!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Gluten free does not have to taste bad. Even more important, if you stick with home made foods, you may all feel better and be healthier!

Answer by rkoloms at 7:24 AM on Nov. 30, 2009