Does anyone else feel "guilty" about telling their children the Santa myth?

As my daughter gets older and more into the whole story of Santa Claus, I feel more and more uncomfortable telling her about him. On the one hand, I feel like it makes Christmas so much more magical and wonderful. But at the same time, I also feel like it is really bizarre that we as a society put so much effort into teaching our children something that is untrue. Sometimes when the conversation turns to Santa, I feel guilty, almost like I'm afraid she's going to be angry with me when she realizes I'm lying to her. How do you feel about the Santa myth as it relates to your kids

looselylucid

Asked by looselylucid at 11:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Holidays

• I am not going to be telling my son about Santa. It just diminishes any trust they have in you when they are older and they find out you lied.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• i was never told he doesnt exist, I kinda learned on my own. specifically the year my parents got divorced, all the presents were from "mom" no longer "santa" and I suddenly never heard about "santa coming"....he just disappeared. My dear dad tried to make it magical. I kinda got the hint at mom's house, but when I visited dad he tried to make it magical for me, baking cookies and carrots, having a gift from "santa" and from "dad"...it was very sweet. Once things cooled down and mom was herself again (she fell into a deep depression which might explain why she didnt give a crap about the whole santa thing), suddenly some presents were from santa, some from her. Although I knew by then santa wasnt real, the "magic" was back! I don't know what to tell my son. he is 19 months old so I have time, but I'm not sure if I should tell him santa isnt real from the beginning. I can see him telling everyone is school the truth lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I never let my kids believe in Santa to begin with. I don't want to be responsible for that heart break. I tell them WE (mom & dad) are Santa, but my youngest won't believe me yet.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Mine are 2 and three i think it is great to let them believe in santa, its magical and great for their imaginations, santa was real at one point in history! So he isnot a total lie, besides they wont think of u as lieing for something that will make them happy. I was told santa was real, and i found out on my own its kind of a growing thing, and theres nothing bad about having them believe something y they still can. whhen we get older there isnt too much that we as adults can still believe in. We tend to let all the magic that we believed in disappear but I completely believe in allowing my babies to have the magic of believing in something so wonderful for as long as I can have them believe!
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Yea. i don't tell my kids Santa is real either. I tell them that Santa is about the spirit of giving and that everyone can be Santa. My oldest insists on pretending that Santa is real. and that's okay with me as long as he knows the truth. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• ..uh babygirl. I definitely thought of it as lying when i found out Santa wasn't real.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I told mine that Santa IS REAL- living in all of us...they are older now, and they still get a gift from Santa ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• What is wrong with some of you???!!!! I don't know about everyone else, but I was never mad or didn't trust my parents when I found out Santa wasn't real!!! I think it's great for kids. My son is only 8 months and we will be playing the Santa game. I can't believe you think your kids are going to be mad at you if you play the whole "Santa game". They are children....let them have some fun and believe a little. Geez!!!
    Jem0582

Answer by Jem0582 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• omfreakingod...I am constantly amazed with the "I dont want to lie to my kids: line. I call BS on every single person that says that. I do not believe that you have never ever ever told your child a lie and I bet when you did it was a completely self serving purpose. I have never met a single person that felt "betrayed" by their parents for letting them believe in Santa. As a matter of fact everyone I have talked to has said Christmas didnt get fun again till they had little kids and the magic was back. The bottom line is most of you are selfish and want your children to know from the get go that the gifts are from you, to heck with the magic of childhood. OP...If I were you, before you get yourself all twisted up, think back to your own childhood, what would it have been like without Santa. Not quite as magical.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Nope, because I don't. My kids have always known and believed the true Reason for the Season, and that's what matters - even when my mother tries to push "santa" on them they know better, and I'm proud of them for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2009