Is my baby too young to sleep with a snuggly toy?

I have read that six months is the time to introduce a stuffed animal or blankie for your baby to sleep with. Why is that? My four month old has had a little blankie/stuffed animal that he has snuggled up to for about a couple months now. He loves it. Can anyone explain why I should have waited?

natvitty

Asked by natvitty at 11:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has slept with a daddy doll and a blanket sine she was born. She has never left the house without them either. Now she has more things in her crib and she is 9months old. She sleeps with it over her face but also i know that she can move it and not suffocate. I have seen her move it from her face and to her face while she sleeps. I think people just think they will suffocate them selves with it because they dont know how to move it while they are asleep.
    Kenzismommy09

Answer by Kenzismommy09 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• i never heard about a toy being "recommended" for sleep. Perhaps what you read, meant to say, it is "ok" to sleep with a blankie or stuffed animal? By 6 m/o most babies have great head control, and can roll over very well, so the risk of SIDS is very low!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Where did you read that? There should be no toys or loose blankets in your baby's crib until they are a year old.
    Anonymous

• Ive never heard a recommended age .
    my daughter has been with a blanket at night for a couple months now
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I was very vigilant about her actions while sleeping, once i noticed her move her face when she blocked her own nose i let her start sleeping with her babies. don't fill the crib obviously but if she shows she can move stuff in her way of moving/breathing I would think she would be ok with one or two little things
    mouse888

Answer by mouse888 at 7:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Because they can suffocate your baby while sleeping (suffocation is not SIDS btw, they are different). The great and mighty THEY says around 6 months is ok because a baby can usually reposition themselves if something covers their face.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 7:44 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• This is why so many parents have trouble. They don't rely on their on common sense and instinct, instead relying on a BOOK written by someone who has NEVER MET THEIR BABY.

If you feel your baby is ready for a bedtime toy, go for it. YOU are the one who knows your baby best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My daughter started sleeping with a pillow/stuffed animal around 4 mos. She loves it. I think once they can roll over it's not such a risk because they'll just move if it's over their face and they can't breathe.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2009