How often and when do you walk your dog?

I want to establish a walking routine. I don't like to go out alone at night but I need to make sure she's taken care of for the day. How long can a dog hold it's bladder comfortably? What's the latest you take your dog out?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 11:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Pets

• I like to take my more energetic dog out running in the morning with my bike. But i take both of them mid day and most of the time we go in the afternoon. I have a fenced yard so late night potty brakes are in the back ard.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Long walk every night or a jog on his treadmill. They used to get a 2-6 mile walk in the afternoon, a shorter walk at night, and trips to the dog park about 2 or 3 times a week, but that was before DD!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Sorry, didn't really answer your question in my 1st post... They get let out into the yard about 4 times a day. How long they can "hold it" depends on the breed, size, sex, and individual dog. My Doberman can hold it a lot longer then our smaller hound. I usually walk my dogs after DD goes to sleep so around 10pm, but I live in a pretty nice area and I'm walking with a 95lb Doberman so I'm not too worried lol. I actually used to live in a not so nice part of Minneapolis/St.Paul and I'd go jogging at midnight with him and feel safe!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I have two large breed dogs, so I don't worry too much while walking at night.
    My 9year old shepherd gets one 30 minute walk per day. She is getting older and its harder for her to walk now.

The nearly 6 month BRT gets two 40 min walks per day...plus a 20 minute training session.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I walk my dog, a 6 pound, 18 month old male Yorkie, twice a day. He gets a 10 minute walk in the morning after breakfast, and a 30-40 minute walk in the evening after dinner. He also goes out to potty about 4 times in between, and once before we go to bed around 10:30. We live in an apartment.
    MommyLady

Answer by MommyLady at 1:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• How long they can hold it depends on breed, sex, and size. More active breeds go more often, females hold it longer than males, and large dogs longer than small dogs. Dogs hold it longer than puppies, and they go more often once they get old. Confusing, I know! I have 2 pit bulls, and I live in the country with a fenced in yard, so when they have to go, I let them out...they run around and come back to the door when theyre done. They go about 4ish times a day.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 1:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I also wanted to add that I used to live in an apartment in an AWFUL neighborhood, but I never worried walking my dogs at night. People are NOT going to mess with someone who is walking a large dog.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 1:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2009