• In the Spotlight:

Potty Training?!

My two yr old son, is very smart & I fully believe he understands when pee is coming, I can't exactly tell if he cares or not. I mean, he could honestly careless when he pee's on himself, he thinks it's funny to pee on the floor. He likes when we make a big deal about going on the potty, when he does it... but he still cries when you make he sit on it... yet he'll go in the bathroom & tell you potty and yet 90 % of the time he already has gone, or waits till you finally get him off the potty to go in the diaper or undies I try to put on him. IDK! I mean I've been trying to stick to a schedule with it more this past week... but it's hard, I go to school full time I work part time, my roomate helps during the day, but she has all 3 kids here... it's hard. What do I do?! Got any potty training advice. How long is this going to take?! I feel like this is a loosing battle... Ugh. I hate the age of 2...

SurgicallyVIP

Asked by SurgicallyVIP at 12:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As a mother of three, I will tell you you are losing this battle if you keep pushing. Your kid isn't ready. Wait a few months and try again. I pushed my oldest and fought with him for three years. I let my middle child do it on his own and he did. He decided one day to pee in the potty and never had another accident. I would back off and let him tell you when he is ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• ugh. that is seriously not the answer i wanted. but thank-you for answering....
    SurgicallyVIP

Answer by SurgicallyVIP at 12:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I only have one child, but he was (is) very stubborn. When he wasn't ready, it was a fight. Even when I knew he was ready (just turned 2) it was still somewhat of a struggle. My son got embarrassed when he peed in the floor, so I let him go around with no bottoms (it was summertime). He had a few accidents but he finally got it. Since your child thinks it's funny, I don't know what to tell you!

You just need to be as persistent as possible, which I know is going to be super hard with your schedule! Maybe buy him some cool underwear to wear during the day, let him pick them out. Tell him what a big boy he would be to wear big boy undies and go in the potty. It's all about self esteem and making them think they are doing something special. If you fight with him to stay on the potty, then he will see it as a negative thing. Just be encouraging and positive! Good luck...if nothing works, try again in a few months as mentioned!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 1:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. I'm a mother of 3, and it sounds like he isn't "mature" enough yet to be potty training. I'd wait a few months and see if he's able to do it better then
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2009