christmas morning breakfast?

I need to think of some kind of breakfast cassarole for christmas morning ( to put it the oven while openeing gifts so we can eat afterwards...My parents, grandparents, my brother, plus my husband, kids and I will be eaating it, so I will need alot ! ....

really any kind would work... but I have no ideas

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 12:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Baked french toast - slice french bread (or use whatever you like) into 1-inch thick slices. Place in a greased 9x13 pan. Shove them in, you don't want too much empty space. Whisk together some eggs, milk, and cinnamon - enough to drown the bread slices when poured over top. Cover and place in fridge overnight. Bake in the morning, approximately an hour at 350 degrees.

Get hashbrowns or chop potatoes. Place in greased 9x13 pan and allow to start thawing. Cook breakfast meat, if desired. Cool, and throw on top of hashbrowns. Top with shredded cheese, if desired (colby-jack is my family's favorite). Whisk together a dozen eggs with some milk, salt & pepper and whatever else you like, and pour over hashbrowns. Cover with foil, refrigerate overnight. Bake covered with foil for at least an hour, til middle is set, at 350.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You can make quiche in advance and it is YUMMY. I make a bacon and onion quiche that is sooo tasty. You could make a nice fruit salad the night before.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Sausage bread is a big hit with my in-laws and parents.

2 rolls of Jimmy Dean sausage - I use one hot and one sage
    1 loaf of frozen bread dough - wrap in saran wrap and put in fridge the night before
    1 onion (optional)
    oregano

Cook the sausage up in a pan together like you would cook ground beef. You can add onions if you want. I don't like onions, so I leave them out. Drain the sausage and let it cool enough that you can handle it. While it cools, roll out the dough so that it is fairly thin. Sprinkle oregano generously over the dough. Put the sausage on the dough and then roll it up like you would a pumpkin or jelly roll. Bake according to the bread dough directions. I usually cut it in half prior to baking. Mostly because it doesn't fit on my cookie sheet otherwise. You could probably cook the sausage the night before so that on Christmas day you just have to roll out the dough and pop it in the oven.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• No help. My kids wouldn't eat something like that. We just make cinnamon rolls. Last year my husband popped them while the kids got ready to open gifts (he didn't do it right either, lol, the man doesn't understand the concept of directions). They got done 20 minutes later and the kids took a break from opening gifts to eat. It's kind of become our tradition.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Overnight French Toast
    2 large apples - peeled, cored and sliced
    3 Tbsp butter or margarine
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 cup dry sweetener of your choice
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup plant or animal milk
    1/2 cup yogurt (I use vanilla)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    4-6 thick slices of day old bread

In a saucepan, cook the apples in the margarine until they start to soften. Add the cinnamon, dry sweetener, syrup and cook until the apples are nice and soft. Pour into the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan. In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients except bread. Dip the bread into the milk/yogurt mix and layer on top of the apple mix. Pour the remaining milk mixture over the top. Cover and refrigerate. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 F. uncover the baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My parents always made delicious quiches for breakfast--one "meaty" quiche, with canadian bacon, and one veggie one with spinach and mushrooms. Absolutely divine. They would serve it with fresh fruit, bagels and flavored Philly cream cheese, coffee, juice, & English muffins. Christmas morning breakfast is one of my favorite memories and traditions. Now, if I could only make those quiches myself, lol.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Here's another recipe that is pretty tasty
    1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest (from about 2 lemons; preferably Meyer)
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar plus 3 tablespoons additional if using fresh cranberries
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
    1 1/4 cups fresh cranberries, chopped coarse, or 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries, if you insist
    1 large egg
    1 large egg yolk
    1 cup heavy cream

Accompaniment: creme fraiche or whipped cream
    Preheat oven to 400°F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
    With a vegetable peeler remove the zest from lemons and chop fine, reserving lemons for another use.
    In a food processor pulse flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and zest until mixture resembles coarse meal and transfer to a large bowl.
    CONT.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• In a small bowl toss together fresh cranberries and 3 tablespoons sugar and stir into flour mixture. If using dried fruit, add to flour mixture.
    In another small bowl lightly beat egg and yolk and stir in cream. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
    On a well-floured surface with floured hands pat dough into a 1-inch-thick round (about 8 inches in diameter) and with a 2-inch round cutter or rim of a glass dipped in flour cut out as many rounds as possible, rerolling scraps as necessary. Arrange rounds about 1 inch apart on baking sheet and bake in middle of oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until pale golden.
    Serve scones warm with creme fraiche or whipped cream. Scones keep, individually wrapped in plastic wrap and foil, chilled, 1 day or frozen 1 week.

Note - we used frozen cranberries that we had left over from Thanksgiving and we forgot to dice them and I think they turned out really well being whole
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• For the scones, you could make them a few days ahead and freeze them and then pop them in the oven Christmas morning. We always freeze them and then eat one a day for breakfast for about a week.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I love the idea of the baked french toast - I think I'll try that recipe - thanks!
    No one likes quiche in my family except for me. :)
    I love to make homemade scones, but haven't made them in many years so don't know if I have the "touch" anymore.
    I'm definitely going to make the baked french toast - YUMM!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2009