Need to go to dentist

I havent been in YEARS...i have bad breath and my tooth hurts like hell! what do I tell them when i call to make the appointment...do I just come out and say what is just said? I dont even kno what I need done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Health

• Yep, better be upfront and honest so they can schedule a comprehensive appointment. It would suck all around if you didn't tell them all you needed done and then they didn't have time to fix what is wrong.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Girl just tell them you need to make an appointment because you haven't seen one in years and need some cleaning done.
    goodmama

Answer by goodmama at 12:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• When I called last spring after not having seen one for years, I said flat out, I haven't seen a dentist in a long time, I'm deathly scared because of a bad experience, I have numerous problems, I want to start with a consult to find out what all has to be done and how much it's going to cost. I got in that afternoon, had x-rays and a consult, made an appointment for a few days later for the first round of work to be done (numerous extractions), the dentist gave me my prescriptions (vicodin? valium? idk, something to help me relax before the appointment, and my profilactic antibiotic), and that was that. But just be up front, tell them it's been a while and your primary reason for coming in is to get that one specific tooth taken care of first and foremost, and then go from there - clean it all up if you can afford it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I used to work in a dental office, it was not uncommon to get calls from people who had not been in for quite a while. When you call be upfront with them, tell them that you would like to schedule and appointment because you are having pain. (they can ususally work you in sooner for pain). Then when you get in they take an xray of the tooth that hurts, examine it and tell you what your options are -- if the tooth can be 'saved' and restored, or if it has to come out. Sometimes they can do/start the procedure at that time. Then after that tooth is taken care of I would set up a general exam and xray appointment. The DDS I worked with would do a full mouth exam and full mouth xrays. He would then tell what work would need to be done and set up a treatment plan. The 'cleaning' (prophy) was usually done on the last appointment.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2009