How would you handle it?

My husband has struggled with believing in God for years. He grew up in a religiously strict homeschooled household. It has really given him a bad opinion of religion in general. He has been researching all kinds of beliefs for quite a while now. I know that we all believe differently and I would consider myself christian although I am not as observant I should be, I do try to be "good". Now he is saying that he is considering himself a Satanist. I am totally freaking out about this. He says its not about worshiping Satan or the freakish side like sacraficing cats and all that junk, but I just don't know how to handle the situation. What would you do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• First of all, I would do some unbiased reading to figure out exactly what Satanism entails. You may be surprised (it does not involve actual worship of Satan, for instance, it's more about self-empowerment.) You cant' know how you feel about this until you know what you are reacting to. There are a couple of Satanist moms on this board who will hopefully join in.

Otherwise, what can you do but let him know you love him unconditionally? You do not always have to agree on beliefs. I know my dh and I don't, and we have been happily married almost twelve years. It sounds like he is doing some spiritual searching right now owing to bad experiences in childhood. All you can really do is accept that searching while you try to live your own beliefs.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:05 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I'd get over it. Satanism has nothing to do with worshiping Satan or sacrificing anything. They don't even believe in Satan.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 2:35 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Ask him exactly what does that mean. Pray for him. Ummm I dont know really but that would bother me a lot!
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 2:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• So can you explain it to me? I really want to try to understand where he is coming from.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Pray to God for help, ask him to bless your home with holy spirit. Read the bible and try to follow it as best as you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• As I understand it. Satanism is a "religion" of selfishness. You care about yourself and pleasing yourself. Not that you don't care about other's or are incapable of love but you live your life your way.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 4:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Modern Satanism is a belief system that empowers the individual to be their own God, to be their own caretaker. This does not mean you cannot have a partner in life, a significant other, or a loved one. It means you take care of yourself as opposed to prayer and false hopes asked of a God or complete stranger to do it for you. You are supposed to accept your own responsibilities and be able to accept the outcome of your actions. As a Modern Satanist, you should not depend on a myth to pay for your actions. The stories that some Jesus Christ came to Earth and has paid for your sins does NOT mean you are above the laws today, and you will be held liable for any crimes committed.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 4:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• 'The stories that some Jesus Christ came to Earth and has paid for your sins does NOT mean you are above the laws today, and you will be held liable for any crimes committed. '-nzumbe
    wow! i don't know who you've been talking to, or who has mislead you terribly, but if you think this ^ is what xtians think/believe, you are wrong. believing in JC does not negate our responsibility for our earthly actions. (perfect example of someone having a misguided concept of another religion, and spouting it as fact.)
    OP, if you are concerned at all about what your dh is considering, if you call yourself an xtian, you need to start with you, and pray. you may not be able to convince him differently, since you yourself aren't convinced/living xtianity. if you pray, seek wisdom and opening the eyes/heart to the Holy Spirit. i don't pretend to know about satanism, but i know this is going to cause a rift in your marriage. good luck and pray
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 4:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I think your husband is really searching right now for what his beleifs are and thats okay.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i don't know who you've been talking to, or who has mislead you terribly, but if you think this ^ is what xtians think/believe, you are wrong. believing in JC does not negate our responsibility for our earthly actions.

Ridiculous. People ask others to explain the tenets of a religion they don't know. As soon as someone does, you start accusing them of being "wrong." If that is what atheistic satanists believe, it is not up to you to tell them they are wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2009