Controlling the Out of Control Kid?

My daughter has gone from being a handful to keeping me at my wits end. I am not sure what to do at this point because nothing works. We tell her no when she does something wrong. Timeout is inneffective. We do our best to reward her good behavior, but the balance of good behavior is 10% to 90% bad. Her fits go to the extent of screaming uncontrollably to hitting and kicking. The doctor suggests we ignore the bad behavior, but how can I when she is doing things that are dangerous- like climbing on the counters and getting into the medicine cabinet. She has already mastered the child-proof latches & we have tried multiple types. We litterally have had to take away any toy that she could stand on, even 3 inches b/c she uses it to get to things she is not allowed to have (she is very tall for her age). No matter what, she never listens. What can I do? Extra Attention doesnt work either b/c she gets bored & resorts to bad behavior

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Your doctor is full of crap. You need to have her evaluated by an occupational therapist. Look into sensory disorders. Your daughter sounds like she is seeking sensory input. Try keeping her on a regulated schedule and keeping her busy with sensory input activities. REST time is important also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I would clean her entire room out and not put ANYTHING (except for blankets, pillows ect) in till she learns how to behave herself. I would put her in her room and completely ignore her. When I got my son back he was very dangerous to himself. Plus, I had such a battle with him bc he had learned the most horrid habits and he would not listen. It took me months of extremely firm and at times strict rules. I was also very consistent with him. Every time she starts, pick her up and sit her in her room, tell her you love her and she can come out when she calms down. Plus, having her time to cry and scream will help her get her frustration out. When she stops tell her how glad you are that she is done crying and that she is a big girl! But if she starts screaming again put her back in asap. I know it may sound mean, but if you do pay attention she will continue. Lock the door if you have to... staying by the door silently of course
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 3:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• A healthy schedule and rest time is very important like the woman said on top of my comment. She will know whats coming and sooner or later actually like knowing whats going to happen (at first she may rebel just to see how far she can make you go back on your word). You just have to be very firm and have tough love. Hang in there, I had such a battle with mine, you can do it. I know its hard... but your not alone. Good luck and I hope she calms down a bit!
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 3:41 AM on Nov. 30, 2009