Does anyone else buy cheap Christmas lights/ornaments for the tree?

just wanted to know if anyone else bought ornaments and lights from Family Dollar? Is it really a difference in the look of the tree? Is it really worth it to pay $8 for a pack of 100-ct lights versus $1.99?

mzhazelrae313

Asked by mzhazelrae313 at 3:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Holidays

• Every brand can look different. I do know that ALOT of dollar store ones look GREAT. I used them when I was in high school.
    We got ours at home depot this year tho LOL.
    Also sometimes you can find lights at walmart for 4 dollars.
    I also know that at walmart they have a whole bunch of 1 dollar ornimaents that are too cute.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i get my ornaments all over the place. my lights, however, are always from whoever sells them the cheapest. basic string-lights indoor/outdoor, multi or clear or color are the same. they function the same, they look the same. your only decision is "what color do i want?" lowe's and walmart were selling them for $1.98/100ct.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 4:14 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i do. i usually get rid of them after xmas and get different ones for next year. no need to spend 100s if im not using them anymore
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 4:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• We have bought inexpensive lights wherever we could find them and have found no difference between how our tree looks and how other people's trees look with more expensive lights. I see no sense in paying top dollar for something that is exactly the same. Think of it as buying lightbulbs - 50 cent bulbs are just as good as $3 bulbs, right? :)
    As far as ornaments, I do like good quality ornaments, but have no aversion to a nicely made affordable ornament. If it looks cheap, tacky, or not painted well, then I won't buy it. Personally, I prefer the handmade ornaments my children have made over the years, the ornaments I have made, and the snowflakes my dearest friend had painstakingly crocheted for me one year.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i bought al my baubles and decorations on friday at the local pound shop in town and my tee looks great i also bought my christmas lights from the asda which are the asda brand, the isnt no need to buy expensive ones when the cheap oneslook as good.
    debbieg038

Answer by debbieg038 at 6:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• even though we have been married for 4 years, this is only our second christmas in our own home where we needed our own decor. so last year we bought on the cheap side, but this year I have one expensive family ornament with a family photo in it. I also have some handmade ornaments my three year old made last year, and this year. Where I am currently living I dont have the option of going to a dollar store, but if I found some nice ornaments there, I would definitly put them on my tree or around the house.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Ugh- I bought Walmart lights this year, Holiday Time brand. Out of the four strings I bought, two did not work! There was obviously some wiring issues... one sting would work as long as I held the wire in a certain position. Based on that we just didn't want them in the tree just in case there were more wiring issues. So I don't recommend that particular brand. Besides that, though, I do buy what is affordable.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• my lights are from family dollar, all of my ornaments are from thrift stores and yard sales. in fact, all of my decorations are from thrift stores and yard sales! i love finding old decorations, they have a history, they were once loved and used by another family, they are unique in their own way, and they dont look like everyone elses! i know, i'm weird!! lol! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!
    faeryheart

Answer by faeryheart at 8:24 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I have been buying lights from our local Dollar General for the past several yrs... and when they go on clearance for 90% off I stock up... In the past 3 yrs out of all the lights I have I have bought, I have only lost 3 strings of 100ct and that was this yr... so I went and replaced them... they look no different... infact most of my decorations have come from there...lighted garland, christmas cards, gold/silver garland, bows for my wreaths, and misc decorations....
    To me they are pretty much the same.... if you want the fancier lights then go to Low's or a Nursery... K-marts and Walmart (at least around here) isn't showing much difference in newer items this yr...
    I also bought all but 1 of my 4ft blow-ups at the Dollar General and have had no issues with them at all...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• we're not getting lights, we have a pre lit tree and we live in an apartment that all the windows face the woods. LOL If we do buy lights they'll be cheap ones from Walmart or something like that. We got matching ornaments for our big tree this year. Blue and Silver from Old time pottery. Spent $10 on 60 ornaments. Then the 4 foot tree in my sons room has all the sentimental ornaments.
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 8:35 AM on Nov. 30, 2009