Do you "hover" or do you have a free range child?

At first I hovered but as she got older I allowed her a little more freedom and sometimes at the playground I just keep a close eye on her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I keep a close eye on him from a distance.He plays very rough with other children, so I have to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesnt push kids down. He thinks its funny to run at the other kids and kinda elbow them just enough that they lose their balance and fall. No matter how often I tell him its not nice and it hurts other kids, he still does it. He apologizes, and then does it again three minutes later.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• YES. I hover, and I homeschool and I make my kids answer for every minute of their day. Also I allow my kids tons of freedom. They can read what they want, do school when they want, go to bed when they want......Sounds like you recognize that there are times to hover and times to let go. That is a major step in parenting. Good job!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My kids are teenagers. I don't think I really do either. I'm very involved in their lives and activities and I know what's going on with them, but at the same time, they're encouraged to make their own choices, work things out on their own (and know they can come to us for advice or help when they need it), and we give them lots of room to grow up, because one of these days in the not too distant future, they're going to be adults and they need to be able to take care of themselves, physically and just in general.

So, for example, we're involved in their Scouts, but we don't have to go on every trip with them. I chaperon on their field trips, but I don't have to stay right with my kids, they're allowed to date, but we talk about boundaries, etc...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I wont hover. Itll be different when were at a play ground though.
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 4:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My kids are free-range city kids (just like I was, although they aren't allowed to go as far as I was at this age). We don't usually go to the playground (the ones around here suck) but occasionally we drive out to one in the suburbs and I "hover" but only because I've got the camera out and I'm snapping a million pictures. But I don't monitor what they are doing except when my 3yo is using the big kid playset. The park we usually go to has this slide she loves. It's about 12' high and has a 4' tall ladder leading from the platform up to it. I usually stand underneath in case she loses her footing and/or have my 8yo son go up behind her. That's about as much hovering as I do. I mostly stand back and watch her and wait to see if she needs help. By then I have no clue where the older kids are.
    At home they are allowed to play outside by themselves (the 3yo has to have her older siblings with her).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I guess I hover since the free range kids are all over at my house because their parents aren't taking care of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• If I had to pick one, I would say free range. I am involved with my children but when its "their time" lie sports practice, free time or hanging out with friends I give them tons of space. I guess its because I feel good about the base I have given them and they have shown themselves to be good decision makers- they really do not need me to hover. I am like ANON above where all the kids are at my house but I think its because we made sure to make the house kid friendly- big yard, ping pong table, video games, tramp, animals, live on a cul de sac, open door policy.....
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:42 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I'm trying to find that 'middle' ground. I 'kinda' hovered for the last 14 yrs...I have been trying to back off a bit. I've realized she's a great kid....she has made wise choices so far. She also has a bit more freedom/space than she did a couple of years ago. I admit...it's been really hard to 'let go' over the last year. I will always stay involved. =)
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 9:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I try my best to have a middle ground. My kids are 16 and 10. We've had broken bones, many bumps and bruises, hurt feelings. But they both recovered well and learned valueable lessons. Over protecting children from the world is just as bad as letting them do what they want. In both instances they grow up to be adults with NO sense of reality
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I'm free range and my DH is a hoover. He drives me nuts with it too. lol
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2009