Time for a bed?

My son is about to be 15 months and he's started jumping out of his crib. He did it twice in the same night. The first time he did it I had DH lower the crib mattress. I felt like such a bad mom that that even happened. Then he did it AGAIN. I did not even think it was possible that he could get out. My parents said that my younger brother was like that as a child and they just put his mattress on the floor. I don't really feel comfortable with that with him being so young. I just imagine him getting up thinking it's play time. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, what did you do?

r_elizabeth2290

Asked by r_elizabeth2290 at 3:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have and I did what your parents suggested it is the safes place.
    goodmama

Answer by goodmama at 3:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I have had to put the mattress on the floor it is the safest place for him and also put a 2 gates up in the bedroom doorway one on top of another it works and it will help while he is sleeping or should be sleep and you don't wake up to eggs,peanut butter salad with whipped cream on top like I did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• If you dont feel comfortable with the idea of letting him out of the crib yet the stores do sell a crib tent. Its a mesh dome that straps over the top of the crib designed to prevent the child from climbing out. The are kinda pricey so shop one second hand first.
    formykids373

Answer by formykids373 at 5:35 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Mine were in a regular bed at 15 months. It's not safe for him to be in the crib any longer. Those crib tents offer their own dangers for climbers and jumpers. Just put him in a bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• my son started climbing out of his crib and we lowered the matress. it worked for a bit, then he started doing it again. so we turned the crib around since the back of the crib was higher than the front. once he was able to get over the higher part, we put him in a toddler bed. he moved to a toddler bed 2 mos after he turned 2 and he LOVED it. if he continues to climb out, you may think about getting a toddler bed for safety reasons. good luck!
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 5:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009