Im not sure if I am going to be a good mom...

Hi, Im 22 and 31 weeks preggers, currently me and my SO live in a one bedroom apt, its small and easily cluttered not to metion the nighbors are a bit unstable and loud ( IE screaming at their poor dog and then stomping for hours)

I have no idea what to do.. we cant afford to move at the moment... me and my SO are HUGE nerds.. like I <3 computers and video games but I dont think that we will neglect our baby to play World of Warcraft... Im just worried we will loose our selves and take only the lable "parents" not that its a bad one.. but everyone on here is more than "just a mom" right?

any pointers for this first time, nerdy mama? please?

Nerdymama

Asked by Nerdymama at 3:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, take it from me, the BIGGEST mistake I have made is allowing my children free range of electronics. We did NOT enforce going outside to play because we are both inside people and my kids are inside people. They don't like to go outside. My kids are not making it as far as health goes and they are having problems learning. Not due to any mental problems, but that exercise will create neuropathways in the brain, without exercise these cannot be made. Look into occupational therapy now because it can give you exercise ideas.
    Also I can tell you this.

NOONE can be a GOOD mom 24/7. We are human. We make mistakes. We need to learn to NOT go overboard with our mistakes.
    TRUST yourself. LOVE yourself. You must first love yourself, so you can give of yourself. HUGS.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• We are human we are not mother of year 24/7. Make sure you take care of yourself and the baby, let me tell you if you are anything like me once you take one look at your child you will fall in love 2000x over and nothing will take you from watching everysingle new thing your child will do in a day. About finding a new place save your money and when your child is a year old or pretty close start looking for a bigger place. We had a very small one BDRM when our DD was born. We also was pulled outt of our place when my DD was 6 weeks old cause our upstairs neighbor was acting out and the cops came and got us out of our place cause they new we had a child.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i felt the same way and even after my son was born (he's 15 months now) i wouldn't do anything for myself cuz i didn't feel it was something a "mom" would do. after a couple hideous meltdowns i realized i can still be myself and care for my son and set a good example for him. love your little bundle of joy but don't lose yourself. you guys will be great parents.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 3:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• trsut me being a mommy comes natural, once you have your little one everything will fall into place tell your SO he needs to be helpfull too though. dont be so nervous we are not perfect NOBODY is,good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• a baby might even kill your wow addiction. it killed my neopets one
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i would lay off the RPG's a bit before you have him (just to get out of the habit) i notice RPG's are the most addicting for me, then it's plat formes. just watch the games you play. I notice it's really easy for me to pause a shooter (like L4D) but really hard to stop God of War or WoW (huge reason i got rid of my account) and you never know- i got so busy right after having DS that I didn't even think of video games for at least a month.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 5:05 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• The fact that you are worried about being a good mom or not and reaching out tells us that you prob will be a good mom bc your already concerned. that means you are already looking at things from different views and seeing what needs to be done either in your daily habits and life in general. Your infant will sleep... and I suggest you sleep while your beautiful baby does.. but if you ARE up to it LOL... go ahead and feed into your nerdiness for awhile. and remember... take care of yourself first... I'm not talking about your games.. but mental and physically so you can make your baby first in all he/she does.. you will be great in your new adventure of mommy hood! Just enjoy each moment as it comes, laugh at the moments you can and just enjoy the feeling of holding the beautiful creation you have been blessed to make.
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 5:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• my husband still plays games after our son goes to bed. we don't clean a lot but our house isn't dirty. i would just keep the gaming to hours the baby is sleeping. that might be very hard the first few months because you will want to be sleeping yourself. but when baby gets on a schedule of sleeping like 12 hours per night, that leaves a few hours for mom and dad to do what they want!!! :) of course you might have a baby that doesn't sleep well for a long time and might need to go to bed early for quite a while. with one child it really isn't too hard to keep your hobbies... i'm worried about going from 1 to 2 though...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• oh it is the out-of-the-house hobbies that really go bye bye!
    Anonymous