My 16 month old has started refusing to eat breakfast. I have tried all different things but she just refuses...She will eat lunch and dinner tho, but i'm worried as she goes so long without eating, thru the night.....please help!

She has just started walking this week

eviesmummy

Asked by eviesmummy at 4:24 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cont

Also, keep in mind, it's not uncommon for a toddler to eat less than they used to, because even though they're still growing and developing at a fast pace, it's nowhere near as fast as it was when they were babies and when they were starting to hit the toddler age. Think about it, in the 16 mos since she was born, isn't she huge compared to how big she was / how much she weighed when she was first born? Well, that growth has got to slow down at some point, and so she's going to seem like she's not really eating, but, like I said, as long as you're offering her good and nutritious things at a regular interval, she won't starve.

It was hard to decide to try this when the Dr suggested it, but we did it and it worked, with both kids.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• maybe cereal bars? they make them for toddlers ... even a bowl of dry cereal for her to eat between her playing ... my son was like this , so i got cereal bars , he ate those , and wed do dry cereal , like a bowl of cheerios on the coffee table for him to eat while he colored.
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 4:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• don't be too worried. :) Toddlers will let you know if they are hungry or not, plus shes prob just experimenting on this and how mommy will act. I like those pediasure things...but I don't beleive in them when the kids know if they don't eat mommy will give me this. just pick something yummy and healthy for her to eat, and if she does not eat just put it away, stick with what you fixed and if she doesn't it, shes fine. Lunch will some to follow! Just make sure shes got plenty of water in her system.. I know it will make her feel full...but water is very very good for them!!! Better than having nothing in her stomach!
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 4:35 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I tried cereal bars, the other day, but she just spat them out, i will try cheerios tho...thanks x
    eviesmummy

Answer by eviesmummy at 4:42 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• This is what our Dr told us when our kids were little and would refuse to eat. It sounds mean, but we did it, and it really did help. it didn't take very long, either.

Offer her a healthy, good breakfast (no "you didn't eat it the last meal, you get it this one crap). If she doesn't eat it, fine. Don't make a big deal of it. BUT - no snacks until lunch. (You can serve lunch a little early.) If she eats, then you can offer light snacks. If she complains that she's hungry, be sympathetic, but don't give in. You can say something like "Oh, I'm sorry to hear you're hungry. Too bad breakfast time is over. But we'll have lunch soon."

As long as you're offering her meals that are tasty, age appropriate, and properly prepared, and are offering them at regular intervals, she won't starve herself.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You can give her pediasure. She is still young and doesn't really understand the consequences of not eating when its time. Also my girls don't like to eat right when they get up. They usually play around an hour or so before they eat. So maybe she isn't hungry when you are trying to feed her. I am sure its a phase that will pass.

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 4:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• thats great advise! be very consistent..bc if you don't you can make it worse for her and yourself by giving in..
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 4:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Two of my kids and myself are like this. We just can't eat until about an hour or two after getting up. We get physically ill. It could be she is like this. For whatever reason the food just sits there like a lump and hurts or you can feel the food not want to go down your throat. Once we've been up for a while we then can eat. It does mean getting up earlier and starting the day. Or eating a big snack before bed which will get you through the morning until lunch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Keep offering something healthy in the morning and make sure that she is drinking breastmilk or water and not getting dehydrated. It is probably just a phase.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2009