What can I do for my daughter's chapped thumb?

She sucks her thumb, of course, and now it's very red and dry. But I'm not sure what's ok to put on it since she does put it in her mouth so often.

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 7:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe you can put a little bit of tea tree oil on it? I'm not really sure what else would work. Is there a certain time of day when she does it more or does she suck on her thumb pretty much all day long?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Put vaseline on it and put a band aid over it.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Chap stick. That is what I used for my oldest. It wonderfully.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:53 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Treat it with Sudocrem and a plaster, then when its healed buy some stop and grow to paint her thumb nail with...this will then stop her from thumb sucking....kill two birds with one stone
    eviesmummy

Answer by eviesmummy at 9:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Hand cream and cotton gloves at night would work if she wasn't sucking it. Since she is, I would go with the vaseline.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My daughter sucks on her fingers and gets them chapped too. I put lanolin on it. It is ok for them to put in their mouth and it works really well. I use the stuff for breastfeeding moms and it usually works with one application.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:47 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Lanolin. Medela's brand of lanolin has beta-glucan in it which helps skin heal faster. Lanolin is safe for going in the mouth and it doesn't take very much to help heal the skin. It actually works really fast! You can get medela lanolin at Target in the baby section (by the bottles, ironically)
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Coat it with "Carmax" with a band-aid or try caking it with some of that Palmer's Cocoa Butter it looks like lard/butter it is in a round little tub/jar like and it smells so good. This is what I used for my pregnant belly and after wards there were no stretchmarks bc I started early before I blew up...lol Hope your baby feels better.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Vaseline or Lansinoh - either way, put a little glove or something over top of it, at least during her awake time, and just let her have at it when she wants to go to sleep. I sucked my thumb when I was little and it usually just healed on it's own, my mom really didn't do anything for it except helped me rub lotion in when I was older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My son had the same issue. My doc told me that as long as his thumb was not cracking or causing him any discomfort that it was fine but if I just really wanted to put something on it to use lanolin. If you do end up with crack or something that causes it to need covering, then use a sock over that hand rather than a bandaid. Band-aids don't tend to stay on a thumb sucker's thumb which leads to a serious chocking hazard. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:41 AM on Nov. 30, 2009