Problems at school...

My 7-yr-old son was diagnosed with dyslexia. The doctor said we should inform his school and when we did, the teacher thought it would be a good idea for my son to talk to his classmates about dyslexia and what that is, because he was teased all the time because of his reading problems. Our son did that, but now he gets teased even more. The other kids call him "the sick-o-boy" and my son is very sad all the time. He refuses to go to school so we have huge fights every morning until his on the bus.
I also have another son in the same school and now he get teased as well because his brother has dyslexia!!! The teachers say they cannot do anything about it. What should I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well I don't agree that he should have told the students himself about his issue. I don't think it should have been brought up at all to the other kids. That teasing IMO is them being bullies and I would keep contacting the school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• He needs a tutor that specializes in this area. Id also talk to his teachers about him not reading aloud in school. He needs to work on it with a professional and reading in school just to be mocked isnt gonna help the situation. My sister was dislexic at that age and grew out of it. Hopefully he will too! GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My son is dyslexic along with 2 other learning disabilities. I think the teacher blew it first off. What is done is done though. My son was bullied to no end. received little help from the school until after Columbine High School happened. The teacher tells you she can do nothing about it....then you need to be sitting in the office waiting to talk to the vice principal. If they won't take an active approach..the principal and from there the district all the way to your schools superintendent. Request a 504 hearing. Bullying is usually outlined in district policies. If yours doesn't you son is expressly protected against bullying by section 504 civil rights act and also by IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act ). Get hot and stay hot. Kids with disabilities are far more likely to be targeted for bullying.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• The school and teachers SHOULD be doing something about the teasing, that is a form of bullying, and MOST public schools take it seriously. If you arent getting anywhere with the teacher or principal, please take it further up to the super. Your son should NOT have to go through daily teasing and such. Im sure that your son will be able to work through the dyslexia with time and help, but if he is constantly riddiculed by his classmates his self esteem is going to go right down the drain and he will end up hating school even more. Please talk to the school again and tell them that the behavior of the other children is affecting your son greatly. Good Luck
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 9:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• The teachers can do something about the children teasing your child. My son was teased for being gifted and it was stopped. I would demand they do something. I would also speak to the parents at the next PTA meeting about it.
    Anonymous

• the teachers sound like wusses
    Anonymous

• What school your son at. i had dyslexic they did not find it until i was in jr high i would go to the school board that not good for your son not want to go to school.

good luck
    piglet91

Answer by piglet91 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• The teacher should ask all the kids in the class if they want to be in trouble for teasing or talk to them about having respect of others and not to tease people. Then send home notes with every student about their behavior and how there treating another student. The teacher shouldnt let this go on, If I was the teacher it wouldnt have went that far at all
    Anonymous