Curious

My baby's apgar scores were really low when he was born, does that mean that he wil have problems later on? So far he's doing what his supposed to do but I'm curious. Docs say we have to see as time goes by how he will do. I keep thinking the worse. I know i shouldn't but I do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• GL, only time will tell, you can't live everyday worrying about it though, just teach and love your child every chance you get and interact a lot.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Low APGAR's at birth do not necessarily mean any problems with development. My kids had 9 and 9 for their APGAR's and the oldest had a severe fine motor skill delay, while the younger one has moderate global delays in speech, fine and gross motor skills. (he has global low motor tone)

Yes, you will have to wait and see if there are any problems, but they won't necessarily have anything to do with those initial APGAR's. Those are more for the nurses and doctors to have a starting point and see where he is in a few minutes to know if he's improved or not...to know if there need to be other measures taken right then in the hospital.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:28 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I have no clue what any of my kids scores were. I didn't even ask or look.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Apgar is mostly to determine if the newborn needs aid immediately. NICU, that kind of thing. Every baby should be watched for development. Most excell at some things and are slow at others. Your job as a mom is to monitor and correct when necessary. Get yourself a nice calendar and a development chart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Not necessarily. I don't really know much about it except that my nephew was born with Apgars of 2 or 3 because of a cord wrapped around his neck and he is a perfectly normal healthy intelligent college student now.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 30, 2009