Is there anything over the counter I can take that will increase my milk supply?

My baby is 3 months old. She was six weeks early and I have been breastfeeding her exclusive but now for some reason my milk is not like it used to be. She's eating more but I'm not producing more and so therefore shes still hungry but nothing left. I need help I still want to provide for my baby. I'm still taking my vitaman and eating good.

kenlee3

Asked by kenlee3 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just bc your milk supply dropped doesn't mean she's still hungry. Check diapers & keep an eye on her output, if its bout the same she's ok. I take fenugreek seed to increase milk supply. Available @ any vitamin store.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• What makes you think something is wrong?
    A Growth spurt at three months is common which means babies will start to nurse constantly to build their own personal supply. You may not necessarily feel engorged by the way, but this doesn't mean you aren't producing milk.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Your milk supply may not be dropping off, she may be hitting a growth spurt. BF babies often nurse more(as in, constantly) when they approach a growth spurt. How many diapers are you changing? The minimum rule is 6-8 wet OR dirty diapers in a 24 hour period; a "wet" diaper is approx 4 tablespoons of fluid in the diaper. The easiest ways to increase your supply:
    -nurse on demand if at all possible, no schedule, no timing how long on each side, let the baby call the shots
    -oatmeal, any form, at least one serving a day
    -water. as much as you can stand to drink.
    as I said, he may just be growing. If that is the case, your body will adjust soon. You can check out any of the breastfeeding forums on here to get more advice and general help with breastfeeding.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:47 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle capsules- I found them at a local drugstore that specialized in vitamins and herbs (normal pharmacies may not have it) Downfall- the lactation consultants told me to take both for best results, which meant 18 pills a day. I only kept that up for a few weeks, as it was too much for the little result I saw. Good luck- nurse on demand is another thing to suggest.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Not sure what you mean by 'nothing left' --breasts are not bags of milk, they're glands, like the ones that make saliva in your mouth... as necessary, whenever necessary, as much as necessary.

Nursing more frequently will increase your supply. Pumping is, for many women, a poor indication of supply and does not tend to be effective in maintaining or increasing a supply.

At 3 months, it is normal for babies to have a growth spurt, making them need to nurse more frequently and for longer --neither of which are indications that your breasts are 'empty.' Milk is made continuously, according to demand, from your blood supply. Until you bleed to death, your breasts will continut to make milk.

If you're concerned about the difference in density or texture of your breasts, it is unusual for women to continue being engorged, and the increased blood flow is no longer needed, so it goes away leaving softer breasts that make lots
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Sounds to me like she's hitting either her 6 week growth spurt (adjusted) or her 3 month growth spurt. Your body will respond to her demands... she will act like she's starving for a few days, and then your body will respond and make more milk. Just give it a little time, watch diapers (at least 6 a day) and keep nursing!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I never offer supply advice until I know WHY mom thinks there is a problem. Many times, it's just a perceived supply issue.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• my daughter was born 8 weeks early..too soon to breast feed so i had to use a pump but i had problems getting enough milk because i knew it was a pump so my supply dwindled. i looked up everything i could online..i tried them all milk thistle and fenugreek and drinking tons of water and even eating oatmeal(something i would never normally do) but nothing seemed to be working. i think you should probably talk to your doctor to decide if you arent making enough milk and if you arent ask about reglan-it's an acid medication but one of the side effects is that it's supposed to triple your milk suppy..i'd say look it up on the internet..google milk supply and see what you can do without it, the lactation consultant at the hospital told me that reglan is kind of a last resort kind of thing
    linds302

Answer by linds302 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2009