How can I be sure that my 3mth old is starting to teeth?

My baby is constantly drooling and chewing on her hands. All of a sudden she is having trouble sleeping at night. Should I try numbing medicines to see if that is the problem. She does have a couple rough spots on her bottom gum.

1stmommy6175

Asked by 1stmommy6175 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the front bottom teeth are the first ones to break through--usually by 6 months, so yes, your baby sounds as if she's teething! I would avoid numbing medicines unless it becomes unbearable for her. Instead use frozen or chilled teething rings, a frozen pacifier, and give her lots of safe things to gnaw on--she needs to learn how to use her new little chompers! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• yes bonjela, and teething rings from the fridge will help the pain....i also used calpol if she seemed to be in pain at bedtime....expect a few days of restless nights...i've been told that teething comes in 3 day ecrements....day 1 drooling, biting and in pain, day 2, less drooling, but sleepless nights and day 3, tooth should appear under gum or cut thru....hope thi shelps
    eviesmummy

Answer by eviesmummy at 9:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My three month old is also teething. I thought it was thrush so I took him to the pedi. Turned out he was teething. She said to use Orajel and teething tablets.
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 9:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• After a while of it, she'll have teeth.

She may be waking because she's hungry and growing faster, or thirsty or scared. The simple answer is to pick her up, see if she wants to eat, if she's just comforted by your arms or if she's still upset and needing something else... then you can see if biting something or a cold spoon to gnaw on helps. If she's not hungry or thirsty or scared and it is her gums bugging her, you'll know.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2009