okay, well what do you think about Shitzus?? I need a smallish dog, good with kids and cats

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Pets

• I had one growing up, he was a good dog. He's over 15 years old now and his health has been bad for about 6. I would make sure not to get any bigger dogs. That's when his health declined. This is gross, he got stressed out by the big dog running in the house and hovering over him and his eyeball popped out. It was so disgusting, the vet said it's something that happens to these dogs because of the way their eyes are shaped, not common but not unheard of. Since then he's had trouble seeing. Grooming was also an issue, his eyes have always had gunk under them and his hair gets matted easily. He's been a good dog though, very mellow but he used to have a lot of playful moments. I would recommend them, but I love a lot of different dogs too.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I dont know about Shitzus....but you can also look at Basset Hounds. We have two of them and they are really laid back....I have a toddler and he can pull on his ears and they will both just lay there. I also have a kitten and they play very well together.
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 9:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• We have a Dachshund. He is great with kids. He is almost 10 now and his name is Sydney. He is a Black short-haired one. I love little dogs. Always did. Also love Yorkies and Chihauwaus. Can't spell that. Have fun.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Small dogs are generally not good for families with small children. They get can snappy if they get angry or upset.

There is a lot of grooming involved with shih tzu's You can keep them clipped, but that is a groomer's trip every six weeks. If you don't take care of his fur, he will matt and that is worse.

The best way to decide what kind of dog fits your family and your lifestyle is to sit down and write down a list of what kind of characteristics you are looking for in a dog. Then, find a dog book that lists lots of different breeds. Look at the dogs in the book and check off the ones that fit what you wrote down....then, go visit breeders. DO NOT get a dog from a pet store.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:35 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• That is the only kind of dog my inlaws get. One one dies, they replace it with another. They are not good with small children (most small dogs aren't). We have to lock their dog up every time my 3 year old goes to visit Mimi. They little yappy dog snaps at her face every time we're there. They also aren't good with cats. They are yappy, snippy, territorial little dogs.

You need to do some research and find a calm, friendly breed. You really should be looking at medium size dogs. You will have more luck finding a friendly dog that's good with cats and small children if you look at medium size dogs.

We have a mut that is part Golden Retreiver and part Blue Healer. Even though she's a little big to be an inside dog at 60 lbs, we still keep her inside. She's great with our 3 yr old and 1 yr old and our cat.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I have two yorkies who I love dearly, BUT if I could do it again I would have gotten a more "sunstantial" dog. My dogs live in constant fear of being squished--mine are small (4 and 5 pounds) but shitzus are not alot bigger. My dogs are good with the kids, don't get me wrong, but my male did bite my neice once when she cornered him--not hard, I think he just wanted to scare her. My mom has a pug and while I am not a fan of them, he seems a perfect size for my kids. Not so big he is knocking them over, but enough bulk to hold his own. We also looked into cairn terriers (Toto) because they are a bulkier build. Like I said, we love our yorkies and I think when these ones go and my kids are grown we'll have more, but as long as my kids are, well kids, we will take the size and build of the dog into consideration. I talked to a vet friend who has given me some great suggestions for our next dog.
    mom2LandL

Answer by mom2LandL at 9:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i've had two and both were really hard to potty train and not too good with kids. big dogs tend to be better with kids. but they don't shed which is a huge plus!!! they have hair not fur, so they're upkeep is much harder.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Not with small kids they are mostly a one adult person dog. Look into a PBGV they are a slightly bigger then a Shitzu but they are WONDERFUL with kids.
    Anonymous

• A Beagle( there is 3 different sizes) would be a great option or a medium or standard Poodle lots of maintenace in grooming but kid friendly
    Anonymous

• Anon 2:41 there are two kinds of beagles...under but not over 15 inches and under but not over 13 inches. The third beagle would be the Harrier which is not a beagle at all.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2009