Car seat for Suburban

I'm getting ready to buy my daughter a new car seat for my suburban it is a 2005 and she will be in a captain's seat rear facing. Any ideas or advice?
Price is not an issue, I'm willing to pay for a great fitting safe seat.
Thanks

mandisue1

Asked by mandisue1 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I drive a suburban. Even with the seat back all the way, just about any seat will fit in there correctly.

I suggest going with a convertible (3-in-1). Go to the store and try them for installation. (I know Toys R Us helps you with this)

The most expensive is not necessarily the best seat....The best one is that which can be installed correctly and in which the baby fits properly.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I also have a Surburban. I have the Eddie Baur car seat, I love it!!
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 9:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I would go to consumer reports website and check out their car seat ratings.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• 3 in 1s are horrible. They don't fit children properly as a booster seat, and often children outgrow the harness before hitting 40 lbs, usually around the age of 3- way too young to be in a booster! To give you an example - my two year old would be using the seat in booster mode - because it is too short for the harness to fit him properly!

I would recommend the First Years True Fit Premier, or the Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL. They are excellent seats, and fit most children very well. The First Years True Fit Premier features an anti-rebound bar that helps protect your baby in an accident. Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL allows for rearfacing tethering (which most seats do not!) that does the same thing. It keeps the seat from hitting your seat back in an accident. Both seats are tall, and have decently high weight limits for both rearfacing and forward facing. They have both performed exceptionally well in crash tests.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 10:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Go to the Car Seat Safety group here on CafeMom. They are a group of Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians and Advocates. They have experience installing and using numerous different seats in many different vehicles and can give you probably the best advice out there. Consumer reports' latest report doesn't really do you much good. It recommends seats that don't properly fit children.

gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 10:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Well you have plenty of space and you are willing to buy whatever.... so I would go to somewhere like Babies R Us and try out the different seats and see which one you like the best and which one will fit the best in your car (they allow you to try them out there if you would like)
    Any of the Britax convertibles would be good... but you don't have to spend that much for a good seat...
    I would check out the MyRide and the TrueFit (there is a new one out, the Premier, look for that one)
    Stay away from any of the 3 in 1 seats... they are junk.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:24 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• The 3 in 1 seats are not junk. I've had great luck with them for all of my kids. By the time they're hitting the weight limit at FOUR years (and they're all in the 90th + percentiles) they're ready for a backless booster anyway.

Some, I will grant, are junk. But not all. You're making unfair statements.
    Anonymous

• First, not many 4 year olds are ready for a booster, let alone a backless booster.

As for the seat recommendation, I can attest to the True Fit. We love it, it runs just under $200, RF to 35 lbs and FF to 65 lbs. Once the child reaches the limit, you can purchase a dedicated booster for a good price.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2009