Do you think poorly of mothers who smoke?

I smoked for 8 years and quit when I figured out I wanted a baby. I'm not saying it was easy. It took two years of trying different methods and it was torturous! I wanted to just tie myself to a bed for a month in total seclusion.

I would think that the threat of increased respiratory issues alone would make a mother quit, but almost everyday I see women driving in their cars smoking with a car seat in the back.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, I think they don't understand the permanent damage they are doing to their kids. I smoked heavily until I found out I was pregnant then quit. It wasn't easy but I stuck w/ it bc it was about the health of my daughter for the rest of her life. They have done studies that proves nicotine is more addictive than heroin so I know its a really hard struggle but I think it is the most selfish thing you can do around your kids.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I don't like it when people are pregnant and smoking. I also HATE seeing a little innocent baby/child in the backseat of a car and the parents are smoking and only have the window cracked open... pisses me off. I don't mind if parents smoke OUTSIDE of there own homes.. and away from their children!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Only when they smoke around thier children.
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 9:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Only if they smoke while pregnant or around their kids. I smoked 2 packs a day and quit cold turkey, so it can be done. It's if a person really wants to or not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• There has been a lot of research that shows 3rd hand smoke is just as dangerous. Just bc you go outside doesn't mean those nasty chemicals don't stick to your clothes & come in w/ you. Think about it, does the smell of smoking stay outside? Nope, its all over your fingers, hair, & clothes.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I smoked as a teenager and all through college and grad school. I quit a few years before I met my fiance and will never even think about relapsing now that I'm going to be a mom. It is a hard thing to quit.

Moms who smoke are horrible people. Horrible selfish people who don't care about anything but their habit. Smoking makes you sick. And children should never have to sit by and watch a parent die of something self-inflicted.

Moms who smoke in their cars with their children are worse. And the ones who do it with the windows closed!!! OMG they should be beaten.

If you aren't ready to be selfless, don't have children. Period.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yes.
    We all know it is VERY VERY hard to quit - I quit the day I found out I was pregnant, cold turkey - and it was absolutely awful.

But. It IS possible for everyone.
    And if you don't do it then that is saying a lot about you as a parent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I think that smokers value their lives less than non-smokers.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Not at all.

I quit smoking when I was pregnant. But I don't look down on those that don't.
    Can it lead to health issues for the child? Yes. Just like soda, fried foods, pollution in the air or water, under cooked meat, fish or many many medical procedures and medications that pregnant and new babies go through...

So, no, I don't look down on mothers that smoke any more than I look down on mothers that don't move to the country, eat only home grown veggies and avoid all medical attention... In fact the women that do go to those extremes are the ones I tend to think are nuts!

I don't doubt the health risks with smoking. But there have been MILLIONS, if not more, children that grew up in smoke filled homes that turned out just fine. If a parent is doing their best to be a good parent and they open a window, smoke outside or switch to smokeless cigs, they are fine in my book!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:47 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I dont think badly of mothers who smoke, but I do think badly of pregnant women and mothers who smoke in front of their children. I know at this time of year its cold and no one wants to go outside, but it's not really fair to your children to smoke in front of them, making them live in that cloud of stench and possible lung cancer and other health issues. My mother has smoked my whole life and I will be lucky if I escape some sort of second hand smoke lung cancer.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:47 AM on Nov. 30, 2009