I feel like I am trying to keep my DD a baby & she is 4......

My daughter just turned 4 & all of her friends watch Hannah Montana & go to her concerts & I don't allow my DD to watch it. The only time I watched it, she was saying stupid & I don't like that. She still watches Mickey Mouse, Curious George etc. She also is still in her toddler bed & my hubby keeps telling me its time to move her into a big bed, which will be a queen bed. She still fits because she is tiny so what is the big deal! And my hubby just took the monitor out of her room last night. i just like to know when she falls asleep & it gave me a sense of security. Am I awful??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• What??

No, you're a caring mother!
    I'd be more worried for the 4 year olds who are viewing sexualized images of a 16 year old performer (yes they are - she is in tiny skirts and doing provocative dancing).
    Keep doing what you're doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Nope. Kids 2 day r pushed 2 grow up 2 fast. Let her enjoy her innocence as long as she wants. She has the rest of her life to learn about hanna montana & commericalism & capitalism. Tell DH that she's doing things on her schedule.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• No, I don't think your awful. My dd is 5.5 years and we haven't introduced things like Hannah Montana or High School Musical. In my eyes, that stuff is more aimed at tweens (maybe 9 or 10.) It's up to you to decide what's appropriate and when. Personally I agree with you on the media stuff.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I understand not wanting her to watch certain shows yet but I would get her out of the toddler bed and she doesn't need a baby monitor in her room anymore, you are going to have to start letting her grow up some time.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Hannah Montana is a G rated show. She's going to hear things a lot worse than stupid as soon as she starts school. You need to let go a little bit and let her grow up some. I agree with your hubby it is time to get rid of the monitor and put her in a big girl bed.

fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• aweful?! No way!!! I am the same way with my four year old! There is absolutly no need for children to grow up as fast as they do these days. I for one am going to keep my little girl a little girl for as long as possible!
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• oh and mine is still in a toddlor bed too. Shes still fits, so I see not reason to move her up to her twin bed yet. When her baby brother is born he will need her mattress for his crib, but not until hes to big for his bassinet, which will be in our room. Then she will get her big girl twin sized bed. She likes her bed, I like her bed, shes not even close to being to big for it, so whats the rush?
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I agree with the bed & monitor & concerts, etc, but my 4 yo is allowed to watch HM (she'd rather watch PBS though). If you try to keep her a baby for too long, and keep her too sheltered, it could bite her in the butt when she's older - I was extremely sheltered as a child which was good when it came to things like drinking & drugs, but when it came to pretty much everything else it wasn't a good thing. My kids are sheltered to a point, but they know what's what in the real world too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I don't agree with allowing kids to participate in the real world before they have to. They're probably going to see porn one day, but I'm not going to bring it home to my teenager first. People are quick to say "they're going to hear worse." Yeah. Where do you think they're learning it? From parents who aren't thinking about limiting their kids exposure to junk. When you start to say "well, saying stupid isn't bad because there's other stuff that's worse" you're accepting that it's fine for a 4 year old to say. You're saying it's fine. No. In ten years, it'll move down to 3 because "oh, they're going to hear so much worse in preschool, so let up on your kid." No thanks.

The monitor and toddler bed are a bit much, but we very much limit tv, and a 4 year old has no business at a concert.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• No. It's ALWAYS good to monitor your children, they DON'T need to be watching shows like that (especially so young) or going to concerts, and she can stay in the bed as long as she fits. There's not just baby then grown up. There are a lot of phases in between. Don't let society make the choices for you.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2009